What's new

Rust on my new Dovo's?

I've been drying these down and generally looking after my two new Dovo straights, imagine my surprise when i spotted some rust forming around the tangs.

What am i doing wrong?

How do i correct it?

So far I have only had this happen to one of my straights, my gold dollar. I imagine it's because this is the only carbon steel razor in my collection but I could be wrong. I got rid of the rust as far as I can see anyway, by using some mineral oil on a q-tip. I now try real hard not to get that part of the razor wet at all and really try to dry it good with a towel after shaving.

I learned about rust with my Le Grelot that happens to be one of those razors that can't sit without an oil barrier for long without showing spots. I was flabergasted when it first happened to me (http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=137340).

Since then, I never let water sit on the steel when I set it down, I thoroughly towel dry the blade and scales, I blow out the pivot pin and I apply a bit of mineral oil to the blade and pivot after every shave. Also, I leave my razor out on the counter in the air to dry off before putting it away. It may be overkill, but I haven't seen rust on any of my blades since.

Easiest way is to use a sponge like chimensch to clean off any excess lather. I only run it under hot water when im finished, making sure only the blade gets rinsed.

I then wipe it dry with a soft cloth and finish off with a few laps on linen.

I have virtually no spots on my thiers issard, being vintage it'll rust scary fast if you let it. I do have very tiny spots but they are hardly visible and serve as a reminder to me, to keep an eye on that blade.

Just use a modicum of common sense and you'll be perfectly fine. :001_smile

Oiling wise i only need to once say every few shaves with some ballistol, just to be safe and every time i hone it gets treated and left to dry with some tuf glide.

I, too, adopted the wipe off and strop routine before putting the razor away like Chimensch does but never thought about the area around the tang.

I take good care of my straights, and have never had a problem with rust or pitting until my recent Dovo. I took equally good care of this razor, but it already has pitting near the spine. I have no idea how this happened.

Top Bottom