What's new

Using a strop on a single edge blade

I have read several articles on B&B concerning "corking" a single edge blade. I recently purchased some notch-less carbon steel blades from Ted Pella that were recommended by their customer service for shaving. I purchased the notch-less blades for several Gem razors I own that do not handle the notched single edge blades well (they tend to slide left and right).

I used one of the blades this morning in a brand new never used before G-bar razor and was pleased with the results. As I finished each pass of a three pass shave, the blade continually shaved smoother. This would lead me to believe that corking or stropping the blade would have smoothed the shave to start with.

I have read about hand stropping, but that early in the morning I am not a big fan of putting a bare razor blade next to flesh.

Just curious if anyone had any opinions on this.

Well, I used an actual strop on a blade that came in a Christy razor someone gave me, but I've yet to shave with it. I don't see how it could do any harm though, unless you strop with poor technique.

I don't see how it could do any harm though, unless you strop with poor technique.
As far as DE blades are concerned, you're probably dulling the edges. Many users report increased smoothness but it's more than likely that it's blade made duller and, therefore, less likely to nick. Stopping devices and running your blades inside a shot glass has also been shown to be ineffective as well. However, if it makes your shaving easier then I say continue to strop.

Last edited:
new blades have a (teflon?) coating, which means you dont want to strop.

The point of a strop is to get rid of any microrust etc that has formed on the edge, the DE blades dont get that problem because of the coating.

Old blades used to be hone and stroppable, but they were much thicker and uncoated

Top Bottom