What's new

Feather Shaving Museum

Hello fellow wet shavers!
I live and shave in Japan, and recently found out that I live within driving distance to Feather's shaving museum and found an incredible collection of shaving memorabilia. My photography skills are horrid and really don't quite capture how amazing the place is but I still think anyone into wet shaving would find it really interesting so here is the link to the pictures I took on flickr -
http://www.flickr.com/gp/77997816@N00/7Y4xz9
The place is located in Seki-city, Gifu-prefecture which is also renowned for it's swords and knives.
Happy Shaving!
D

DKinJP;
Those old Feather razors look great! Is there much of a market over there for the vintage razors? Here in Thailand there really isn't. I wouldn't mind picking up one or two of the older Feather safety razors. Have you found a source by any chance?
Regards
dsipari

Welcome, and thanks for the great post! You did a good job with the photos, it's not easy taking pictures of things in glass cases. One thing is for sure, I wouldn't want to be the guy that changes the flourescent lights in that place :biggrin1:

Thanks everyone, glad you like the pictures!

Basically at that place you can buy any mainstream product they sell. By mainstream I mean goop in a can, hairnose clippers, scissors, the new line of multi-catridge razor they sell but only one DE razor.

I picked it up and am very happy with it but it's a plastic remake of one of thier best selling DE razors of all time. After walking through that amazing collection with my wife I was ready to walk into the gift shop and buy the best straight edge razor they had but the did not have a single one for sale there. Actually the sales lady tried to turn me off from the safety razor onto a modern imitation Mach 3 that they make. I asked her about getting a 'real' razor and if they had some in back or in the offices next door and she told me no.

It looks like even the proffesional straight edge razors they sell now have disposable edges to make things easier on the barber as far as sanitary issues and sharpening go.

The owner of the company is a real shaving buff with the passion and the money to put that kind of collection together but classic shaving as a doesn't seem to have the kind of cult following it does in the English speaking world. After returing home I searched all the major auction sites that operate in Japan and found exactly one (1) classic feather razor for sale. No other classic razors of any kind.

It's too bad there is such a great collection of classic shaving items from the past and it seems like no one here knows about it!

D

Thanks everyone, glad you like the pictures!

Basically at that place you can buy any mainstream product they sell. By mainstream I mean goop in a can, hairnose clippers, scissors, the new line of multi-catridge razor they sell but only one DE razor.

I picked it up and am very happy with it but it's a plastic remake of one of thier best selling DE razors of all time. After walking through that amazing collection with my wife I was ready to walk into the gift shop and buy the best straight edge razor they had but the did not have a single one for sale there. Actually the sales lady tried to turn me off from the safety razor onto a modern imitation Mach 3 that they make. I asked her about getting a 'real' razor and if they had some in back or in the offices next door and she told me no.

It looks like even the proffesional straight edge razors they sell now have disposable edges to make things easier on the barber as far as sanitary issues and sharpening go.

The owner of the company is a real shaving buff with the passion and the money to put that kind of collection together but classic shaving as a doesn't seem to have the kind of cult following it does in the English speaking world. After returing home I searched all the major auction sites that operate in Japan and found exactly one (1) classic feather razor for sale. No other classic razors of any kind.

It's too bad there is such a great collection of classic shaving items from the past and it seems like no one here knows about it!

D

Maybe one day in the future, DE razors will be in a museum and it will say "Razor made in Germany; time period: unknown" :eek:

It's sad that this marketing fad destroyed so much of what is truly an art, but that's life.

Very nice photos sir!

Top Bottom