What's new

Fingers in the brush

The past couple days I've been holding the brush deeper in my palm, with a couple fingertips pressing into the bristles. I started doing this because the handle was getting soapy and slippery, but the fingers in the brush seem to be squeezing more of the lather out onto my face, where it belongs.

Is this already a well-known technique?

It's been done before :001_tongu to stiffen the bristles or to make a brush more fan shaped like. For instance a barber can maneuver his brush better when shaving a client.

Mantic uses it on one of his videos. I do this also as I find it massages the lather onto your beard for a better shave.

I've done this with brushes from time to time. I think its a good idea where extra backbone is required of the brush.

I've done that with my Omega Professional Boar. Helps guide the bristles and gives me a bit more control over the LOOONG bristles, whilst giving me more lather.

Did I just say "whilst"?

As Dietmar eluded to, it does stiffen the bristles and gives somewhat better control (especially around the upper lip area). I have tried it. :thumbup1:

Cheers,
Robert

Barbers' manuals of the past say that lather must be applied with the first two fingers dipping in the bristles, to control the brush and avoid to fill the customer's nostrils with fragrant lather :biggrin1:

Sometimes I use this method to give more backbone to floppy brushes. It works, somehow.

I've never really thought about this, I've seen it done but I've never done it myself. However what you mentioned seems to make sense, as I've used some of that deep rich lather from within my brush to clean up rough areas. I'll give it a shot and see. Thanks for the mention. :thumbup1:

Top Bottom