What's new

Cigar Primer

Can anyone direct me to a good place to start gaining a little bit of knowledge on cigars? I've been slowly getting into cigars, about one a month right now, but I can see that number increasing to one a week. I know basically nothing about them, they guy at the shop simply recommends something seemingly random at this point in time.

Thanks

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
There is a magazine you might want to take a look at, called "Cigar Afficianado". Lots of interesting articles and stunning pics. I would take their ratings with a grain of salt, though. I suspect a bit of payola there.

Its hard for anyone to point you in the right direction until they know you well. Even though I buy cigars online a lot, I still think having a good relationship with a tobacconist is worth the time and monetary investment.

Also, when I started smoking I found the Cigar Dave podcast.
Entertaining show and educational on cigars.
CigarDave.com has all the podcasts back to 2008.
Welcome to the Habit!

X2 on developing a relationship with a tobacconist. You'll learn a lot and I've never found an unfriendly tobacco shop. I don't know what it is about the sot-weed, but it attracts friendly sorts. Some of the forums are terrific, but you'll gain a lot more by stopping in to see an enthusiastic retailer every week or two.

I go to a shop run by this great Russian guy. I always chat for awhile and learn a thing or two. I enjoy it just as much as dropping in on my favorite bar, which happens to be one of the few "smokeasies" around here. Yes, you can still have a cigar and a beer in Los Angeles if you know where to go. :smile:

Last edited:
I can second this--This is a great place, lots of knowledge freely given out. Newbs are welcome. Great great place!!!:thumbup:

X2 on developing a relationship with a tobacconist. You'll learn a lot and I've never found an unfriendly tobacco shop. I don't know what it is about the sot-weed, but it attracts friendly sorts. Some of the forums are terrific, but you'll gain a lot more by stopping in to see an enthusiastic retailer every week or two.

I'll agree with both, to a degree.

I came here, from Cigar Asylum.

Getting to know the local guy has benefits, but I don't know about the 'gain a lot more' thing. You'd be surprised at how much more you can find, with the questions and answers pre-existing for you.

Top Bottom