What's new

Help with old Case pocket knife

Wasn't sure what area to post this in. I know The Mess Hall says cutlery but that seems to be more about kitchen cutlery.

Are there any Case pocket knife collectors here? I've got one that's approximately 65 years old. I think I've figured out that it's a #75 Moose in "pretty bone" but as the pattern number is about gone, I don't want to say for sure. What I can make out of the top of the pattern numbers, it the pattern number appears to be 6275S. The only official pattern number like that I could find was a 6275SP which is a #75 Moose made between 1940 and 1964. Dating this Case knife from the time it was given to me and at that time told it was 50 years old, this knife is approx. 65 years old which leads me even further to believe it is indeed the #75 Moose 6275SP. On the bottom of the largest blade it has like this on one side:

CASE
XX

And on the other side of the same largest blade at the bottom it has the tops of the numbers 6275S (the P has been rubbed off over time as has the bottom of the numbers.)

Also I don't know the difference between "pretty bone" and "bone" and "reddish bone".

So I'm turning to you all for help in solidly identifying this Case knife. Also maybe valuing it?

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

I can't help you with one this old, but the company tries to maintain an image that it is interested in its own history and heritage. Try calling them or emailing these pics, and see if they can help.

By the way, that's a fantastic knife.:thumbup1:

I can't help you with one this old, but the company tries to maintain an image that it is interested in its own history and heritage. Try calling them or emailing these pics, and see if they can help.

By the way, that's a fantastic knife.:thumbup1:

Thanks for the advice. I wanted to hold off before bothering them but it looks like that's going to be my best avenue for confirmation.

Try this link http://www.casexx.com/ your pattern looks closer to a stockman than a moose. They have a lot of information regarding patterns, materials and date codes.

Thanks. I had thought about Stockman but the pattern numbers for Stockman don't seem to match up with the ones on the knife. I can make out what the numbers are by the way the visible tops of the numbers bend and curve and that's what lead me to the Moose. I've sent an email to Case with the images so hopefully they will help me.

Base on Case numbering your knife should be a 6375, a Moose would have only 2 blades, making it a 62 . A 6375 would be a 6-Bone Handle, 3 - 3 blade, 75 - Large Stockman. The 75 pattern was synonomous with both the stockman and the Moose.

The tang stamp of CASE (over) XX, was used from 1940 to 1964.

Base on Case numbering your knife should be a 6375, a Moose would have only 2 blades, making it a 62 . A 6375 would be a 6-Bone Handle, 3 - 3 blade, 75 - Large Stockman. The 75 pattern was synonomous with both the stockman and the Moose.

The tang stamp of CASE (over) XX, was used from 1940 to 1964.

Thanks for the info. I was looking at Stockman http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/price_guide/wr_case_xx/knives-375.php and it only shows pattern number 6375 and no 6375S or 6375SP. Mine definitely has an S at the end of the number so it at least has 5 characters but that link doesn't show 5 or 6 characters.

One last note on your knife: The SP could be a reference to the Spey blade, this could differentiate the knife from others that do not come with the spey blade.

Just a follow up here.. Case confirmed it is a 6375 Stockman with Stag handle, made in 1945.

And it's got a new home in Virginia thanks to Ebay. I can barely afford my razor collecting so last thing I needed to get into was knife collecting. I'm happy knowing it's in a new home with a knife collector.

Top Bottom