What's new

I have just found cream nirvana...

...and it is called Proraso. It is the best, IMHO. It's menthol content is cooling my face from the instant I brush it on.

Just now found cream Nirvana? It's been around for a while.

The first tube was amazing, the second tube was just okay, and then the main ingredient was removed and the second ingredient started the Foo Fighters.

I find temporary New Nirvana with every package the mail carrier brings. And, that's not demeaning Prorasa as I like it, too, it's just that there are far more good shave creams/soaps than bad and nothing sweeps like a new broom.

Dry shave with a straight a couple of days in a row if you don't get my point. :001_smile

Ooooooh yeah.

I stopped using all my other creams when I got a hold of Proraso. It's the only cream I use.

(Van Der Hagen is my go to soap)

The first tube was amazing, the second tube was just okay, and then the main ingredient was removed and the second ingredient started the Foo Fighters.

This is honestly one of my favorite comments ever :laugh:.

Proraso will always have a spot in my shave den. I don't care for the medical scent of it but since it performs fantastically I'm ok with it. :thumbup1:

Proraso is, in my opinion, the very best low cost cream available on the market.
I wrote a post on this italian gem: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=146422.
Just give it a look!

I think I pretty much agree 100% with what you have posted in your thread. I know a lot of people have 'aquisition disorders' with shaving products, especially soaps and creams, luckily I don't seem to suffer from these. I have experimented with a few different soaps and creams (namely Erasmic, Boots Cool Cologne and Palmolive) and I see no point in chasing a better cream as the one I have found suits me perfectly.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by auk1124

This is honestly one of my favorite comments ever .

+1

I haven't touched my AOS since I started using Proraso, loving it. Whats this about something about being removed from it ?

Actually, menthol falls into the category of counterirritants. A counterirritant causes a somewhat painful stimulus on the skin, thereby blocking the painful sensations that may be deeper, such as in an arthritic joint, or sore muscle. That is the way Ben-Gay is effective. The cooling sensation has nothing to do with temperature, it is simply the menthol irritating the sensory nerves in the skin.

Proraso was the first cream I used when I started DE shaving, and it was all I used for the first 3 months or so. I thought that shaving didn't get any better than this, mainly because I didn't have anything to compare it to.

Once I started collecting other products, Proraso fell by the wayside. I've only used it twice in the last 2 years. Once because I wanted to refresh my memory on what it felt like. The other time was a day that was unbearably hot and I needed an icy blast to cool me off.

There are a lot of better creams than Proraso ... that being said, I couldn't imagine not keeping it around. If I ever get a friend who wants to learn about wet-shaving, I would hand him some Proraso and say "Start Here."

I just tried it based on the feedback on this board. I added a couple of drops of glycerin. Nice shave and it felt great after I wipoed my face off. Love that menthol kick.

"Once I started collecting other products, Proraso fell by the wayside."

-- May I ask which other products pushed it out of the way? Am in search ...

I haven't tried the Proraso, but I have used the CO Bigelow brand. I've heard they were similar. I asked a guy to explain the difference between the 2 and the best he couold come up with is that Proraso smells like teen spirit.

"Once I started collecting other products, Proraso fell by the wayside."

-- May I ask which other products pushed it out of the way? Am in search ...
I tried several other soaps and creams (Williams / VDH / American Crew/ KMF) but I kept going back to Proraso. The one product that finally dethroned it was Cremo Cream. As the package states, it gives you "an astonishingly superior shave." Cremo was the backbone of my rotation/experimentation for about 3 months, and then that was replaced by Tabac.

Tabac is the product I've stuck with the longest, and it is my favorite during the colder months. During warm weather, I like to switch to something lighter, like Musgo Real, Penhal BB, Body Shop Old Formula, T&H Ultimate Comfort, and others too numerous to count.

Of course, I'm still searching for new products, even 2.5 years later. I doubt that I'll ever find that one item where I say "Aha, this is IT!" and abandon everything else. I like to keep rotating amony my many choices, and the choices and options keep expanding every month. My current favorite is Speick Stick.

Since you're just starting out, I'd suggest a trip to your local supermarket or drugstore and pick up some KMF / Williams / VDH / Nivea and other locally available products. Just like I did, you may find yourself going back to Proraso, but you should at least try these out. They come up in discussions often, and you should have for comparison purposes.

Last edited:
...and it is called Proraso. It is the best, IMHO. It's menthol content is cooling my face from the instant I brush it on.

I don't know where you are based. But ingram is very similar to proraso also johnnys tobacconists in newquay sells proraso along with other creams.

Top Bottom