What's new

Inconsistent results

I'm about a week in to DE shaving, and right now, I'm getting pretty good results. DFS, even. However, I'm finding that my Futur (set at 2 of 6) is missing some spots right where the chin meets the neck. I'm starting with a NS pass, following with an SN pass. How can I improve my technique to clear up this chinstrap stubble?

Some people like to really soak the chin hairs with their cream or soap so they leave that part for last and when everything else is done their chin hairs are softer. Experienced shavers also gently buff the area.

May sound a bit odd, but have you tried opening your mouth really wide? If it's right at the base of your chin, you may be able to stretch your skin in a manner that it rides up your chin enough so you can get at it!

Glad to hear that things are going well for you! Hope this helps!

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
+1 on stretching, but at this stage, you are in week 1, don't worry too much about it. The technique will get togther slowly but nicely!

May sure you raise your chin up high to pull the skin taut. This will improve contact with your razor and provide you with a closer shave. You can worry about pulling the skin with your hands when you gain a little more skill.

Watch the angle, watch the pressure, prep the beard well (and I mean VERY well) and give it time. It will click together soon enough.

Patience my dear grasshopper :thumbup1:.

Cheers,
Robert

I'm about a week in to DE shaving, and right now, I'm getting pretty good results. DFS, even. However, I'm finding that my Futur (set at 2 of 6) is missing some spots right where the chin meets the neck. I'm starting with a NS pass, following with an SN pass. How can I improve my technique to clear up this chinstrap stubble?

Welcome to B&B!

With patience and persistence you'll soon be enjoying pleasurable shaves..
Might be worth mapping out your beard especially around your chin area, to work out which direction the stubble grows in.

All other things being equal try washing and moisturizing your face the night before. I think you will be surprised. I starting making sure that my face was good to go the night before and noticed some good changes in my shave. Don't forget post shave either. Dry skin leads to only average shaves for me.

Richard

All other things being equal try washing and moisturizing your face the night before. I think you will be surprised. I starting making sure that my face was good to go the night before and noticed some good changes in my shave. Don't forget post shave either. Dry skin leads to only average shaves for me.

Richard

I wash and moisturize my face every night.

Aberneth,

You will grow in skill with time. It will become easier. Logic does not trump practice. The more you shave, the better you get. It really does take time and attention. There is no shortcut. You will learn to shave this area with efficiency.
A week is a short time.

Should have been prefaced "If you don't". That is one of the basics that usually falls by the wayside before learning to shave properly.

Take Care,
Richard

Oh, well I just do it because I'm a teenager with dry skin. Have to wash because of acne (which has miraculously cleared up since I've started wetshaving). Have to moisturize because my skin gets flaky and peely after washing if I don't moisturize.

Oh, well I just do it because I'm a teenager with dry skin. Have to wash because of acne (which has miraculously cleared up since I've started wetshaving). Have to moisturize because my skin gets flaky and peely after washing if I don't moisturize.

Whoa! You got rid of a lot of bad skin issues when you started shaving with a DE? It took me, humm "a while", to find this one out. I went many years with absolutely horrible skin, and just as many doctors to boot, till I started straight shaving and then suddenly...good skin. From what I have read DEs do the same thing. Good going, don't turn back it will come to you in very little time considering the grand scheme of things.

Take Care,
Richard

Improved shaves will come with experience, try the tips mentioned above and see what helps, at this early stage its best to concentrate on gradual improvement and don't get too hung up on getting the perfect shave.

+1 on stretching, but at this stage, you are in week 1, don't worry too much about it. The technique will get togther slowly but nicely!

Exactly, the change to DE is rarely instant. Stick with it, take your time and concentrate on your prep and technique.

Best of luck!

I've been wet shaving for a little over two weeks, and I was definitely having the same problem area. Actually, when I still do have a difficulty it is the old chinstrap syndrome. I guess everyone's skin and beard is different. I started do a XTG pass after my NS pass (don't have the guts to do a SN yet) and I find it is helping.

I too am finding that wet shaving has a learning curve, but I'm sure enjoying the process. :001_smile

The problem - potentially - is that S-N may be ATG for some portion of your beard, and shaving ATG is a good way to irritate your skin. But you won't know for certain unless you have mapped your beard accurately.

The beard under my chin grows with a part down the middle, so an S-N path is perpendicular to the grain.

The beard under my chin grows with a part down the middle, so an S-N path is perpendicular to the grain.

Ditto for the right side of my neck. The grain on the left side is more N-S, but the right side goes E-W (or W-E depending upon orientation) from my Adam's apple toward the end of my jaw. WTG, XTG, and ATG are more complex down there. :001_smile

Top Bottom