What's new

Straight razor anti rust oil / pre-shave oil

Hi, I'm curious if some oil could fill both roles of protecting a carbon steel straight from rust and also be a good pre-shave oil.

Specifically, I'm now looking at my toddlers skin oil. It contains "Paraffinum Liquidum" which is paraffin oil that I know is good to protect the carbon steel. It also contains "Isopropyl Palmitate" that is palmtree oil and common in cosmetics. Do you think this is useful to protect the carbon steel from rusting? I already have it in the bathroom for my child and it is dirt cheap.

Feel free to tell me no before I damage a nice Revisor 6/8 with my ignorance :blushing:

Suggestions of other oils that can fill both roles would be welcome.

If you PM me your info I'll send you some Camelia oil. I wouldn't put anything on any of my razors that wasn't made specifically for protecting metal. A Revisor is a great blade and you'll be crushed if anything had some adverse effect to the scales or blade. Not that any of those things you listed would but if it was made for blades it would be sold for them.

Camelia can be found at Woodcraft depending if you have one in your area and it comes with a spray. Or check any wood crafting suppliers or hobby stores

Get a small bottle of mineral oil from your drugstore, add a drop of your favorite essential oil and voilà - you have a proven solution that some will sell you for $$. Stay away from cosmetic oils - they break apart far too quickly, gunk up blades and do not really protect at all.

Top Bottom