What's new

French cuffs making a comeback?

I've noticed a lot of stores and designers have started rolling out shirts with French cuffs, and I can see why. They look sharp, with a nice set of cufflinks. I picked up a Kenneth Cole dress shirt with french cuffs, and it's become a regular part of my favorite 3-piece. Is anyone else out there as ravingly fanboyish about french cuffs as me?

I won't go with ravingly fanboyish, but I do enjoy french cuffed shirts. Hardly anybody wears them these days so one can look just a tad sharper than most others on a given day.

I've noticed a lot of stores and designers have started rolling out shirts with French cuffs, and I can see why. They look sharp, with a nice set of cufflinks. I picked up a Kenneth Cole dress shirt with french cuffs, and it's become a regular part of my favorite 3-piece. Is anyone else out there as ravingly fanboyish about french cuffs as me?

French cuffs are very elegant, with a major advantage: the ability to choose and personalize cufflinks is one of the few ways that a man can use to assert taste and individuality in a formal setting (the others being watch and tie). I work in a suit-and-tie environment, and these are the three ornaments I always check quickly to size up someone I meet for the first time. I also check to see how well-shaven the person is, of course.

But there is a serious drawback: the cuffs get in the way when working at a desk. So, personally, I avoid them on days when I know I will spend most of my time in the office, but favor them when I will be traveling, or at meetings, or formal meals.

V

VR6ofpain

But there is a serious drawback: the cuffs get in the way when working at a desk. So, personally, I avoid them on days when I know I will spend most of my time in the office, but favor them when I will be traveling, or at meetings, or formal meals.
I totally agree with this. I work in a business casual environment, so I never wear my French cuff shirts to the office, but I do save them for formal events outside of work. Even though I enjoy the look and somewhat more classy appeal of them, I always find myself annoyed with the cuffs getting in the way of everything.

In order to make a comeback, they would have had to have left. I don't think they ever left.

They've been a part of formal fashion for quite a while, but they're making their way in to designer lines and semi-formal outfits. I see people walking around in ombre washed french cuffed shirts, tucked in to dark denim jeans. I've seen that look quite a bit lately. Of course, I live in a strange corner of the country, so the sample population is a bit uncharacteristic.

I've never much cared for French cuffs. Cufflinks aren't my style, either. I prefer minimalism and lack of ornamentation. I'll stick with ordinary buttoned cuffs.

I totally agree with this. I work in a business casual environment, so I never wear my French cuff shirts to the office, but I do save them for formal events outside of work. Even though I enjoy the look and somewhat more classy appeal of them, I always find myself annoyed with the cuffs getting in the way of everything.

Just leave your jacket on, which you should do anyhow. This stops the cuff catching the desk. I always wear french cuffs and links, button cuffs should be strictly casual and not near a suit :001_smile

Actually, french cuffs have made a comeback in 2005. The trend to some is still being felt today. To others, it is never a trend, but who they are in style.

French cuffs making a comeback… when did they go out?

They may have dropped from fashion, and come back as a fad, but they are now, and hopefully, always will be the height of style. All my dress shirts have linked or French cuffs, both double and single.

Last edited:
IMO there is nothing that looks better than French cuffs with a suit. :001_smile

On those occasions when I wear a suit it is always with French cuffs and a set of cuff links. My AD is not limited to razors but extends to cuff links.

I know...They now have their half yearly, 40% off (or something like that) sale going on...3 shirts for $159...Yes, still a bit $$, but considering that they are of good quality and last a long, long time, worth every penney. Over the long run, it more than makes up for the price. I also got a $40 off coupon in the mail for purchase of $175 or more.

I think I will end up with 3-6 shirts and a couple of pants or ties...Man, shirt RAD is no fun (but I only do this 1 or 2 X a year, max)

Cheers,
Robert

Also damned expensive :lol:

I know...They now have their half yearly, 40% off (or something like that) sale going on...3 shirts for $159...Yes, still a bit $$, but considering that they are of good quality and last a long, long time, worth every penney. Over the long run, it more than makes up for the price. I also got a $40 off coupon in the mail for purchase of $175 or more.

I think I will end up with 3-6 shirts and a couple of pants or ties...Man, shirt RAD is no fun (but I only do this 1 or 2 X a year, max)

Cheers,
Robert

I reckon that's not too bad... 3 shirts for 160 is less than my Kenneth Cole frenchies.

I wear french cuff shirts every day to the office. I have about 12 french cuff shirts, most tailored. They are a minor annoyance for me when I type on my computer and at my desk (right now) but for me the payoff of looking sharp is well worth it. I have more pairs of cufflinks than I do shirts so I can have a different combo every day of the year. If flashy cufflinks aren't your thing you can always wear silk knots. They still look custom, but really toned down.

Do you guys get your french cuffed shirts with spread collars or a more traditional collar?

Top Bottom