What's new

Brandy drinkers?

Jonesy Port - I love the stuff! Just delicious. Can be bought for $9 and Robert Parker rated it a 93, the absolute best value in Port I've ever seen.

I love both Port and Brandy.

I think that Napoleon XO is good and it is pretty cheap. If you want to spend a bit more, then you might what to try anything from Otard, which is a Cognac. Even their least expensive stuff is really great. You might get the Otard for as little as 80-90 dollars per bottle. The Napoleon XO is only about 25-30 dollars per bottle. Both are well worth trying if you have never had them.

In terms of Port, I just had a lovely bottle of Grahams 10 year old with my wife the other night. I think it was 30-35 dollars. I also usually like anything from Sademan or Taylor Fladgate. Port is such a great way to finish a fine meal. And with some stilton cheese, maybe some sliced pears, and whatever else you have on hand - its just divine.

Tim, Is Jonesy readily available as far as you know?

I"ve always bought mine at World Market where it's $9, a lot of the local liquor stores have it for under $10. It is also available online. It's not techniqually Port (and not Portugal), in the literal sense, being an Australian fortified wine but in a exact same fashion as Port only in a different location, with an average age of the blend being 46 years. I really love this stuff! (I can't say that enough :biggrin: )

I like the Remy Martin cognacs, such as the VSOP or Napoleon.
Otard XO cognac is also a good choice and it can usually be bought for the same price as the Remy Martin Napoleon which makes it very good value. (but not cheap compared to brandy).

Just to help a bit with terms, cognac is made from grapes grown inside the Cognac region in France, brandy uses the same distilation process as cognacs but uses grapes grown outside of this special region and because of this can not be called a cognac.

Usually you find also that the cognacs, especially the Napoleons and XOs, are made with some spirit that has been aged 20-40 years.

Wonderful stuff!:tongue:

I like the Remy Martin cognacs, such as the VSOP or Napoleon.
Otard XO cognac is also a good choice and it can usually be bought for the same price as the Remy Martin Napoleon which makes it very good value. (but not cheap compared to brandy).

Just to help a bit with terms, cognac is made from grapes grown inside the Cognac region in France, brandy uses the same distilation process as cognacs but uses grapes grown outside of this special region and because of this can not be called a cognac.

Usually you find also that the cognacs, especially the Napoleons and XOs, are made with some spirit that has been aged 20-40 years.

Wonderful stuff!:tongue:

thanks for the info...I didn't know that!

picked up a bottle of jonesy port and am amazed by the stuff! Incredibly smooth...sweet but not sickingly so. Affordable, too. Timmy was right on the money with this recommendation!

Grahams 10 year old id a good port and sells for £10 ($18ish) over here. I drink it regularly. Another good one to try is Taylors LBV (late bottle vintage) it sells for about the same amount but is a more fruitier flavoured port. I like both. The Taylors is great with a chunk of strong cheese and a nice cigar whereas the Grahams is better after a big nosh up and a very sweet dessert as it is slightly more 'cutting' in the alcohol dept.

Either way it seems like 'proper' shaving and alcoholism go hand in hand :biggrin:

Mat

Top Bottom