What's new

Newbie makes limited progress with Progress

I waited 3 days after my first time with a DE resulted in cuts and razor burn on my neck. The main problem area for me is still on my throat next to the Adams apple area. I will try shaving S-N next time. Should I try to give my face a break and shave every other day? Is there any disadvantage to shaving every couple of days while I am learning? The AoS soap (sandalwood) I used kept drying out under my nose, around my mouth and on my chin. I looked like a mummy in that area and it flaked off and floated in the air! Perhaps it is because I shaved that area last. Any advice is welcome. Thank you!

Every other day might be a good idea.

Your lather should not dry and flake like that. Make sure you are properly hydrating your lather.

Use the Progress on a low setting, watch your angles, and use no pressure.

good luck.:thumbup1:

Thanks for your quick response. I am from Newport News and was stationed for awhile in Portsmouth while in the Coast Guard. Currently residing in Northern Virginia. Are there any good shaving supply shops in the Tidewater area? How does one determine the proper amount of hydration in lather? Thanks again.

Basically, your lather should be really fluffy and thick. That's how you know it's properly hydrated. When I first started shaving, I quickly realized I needed to be using double that mount of water I previously thought was sufficient. Check out this video by our very own Mantic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dd7Aj9vwrtc. In fact, watch all of his videos, they're really helpful.

In terms of shaving resources near where you live, check this thread: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=242. They don't have every single city, but maybe there will be something close by. I've found, though, that online ordering really is the way to go for some of this stuff.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Thanks for your quick response. I am from Newport News and was stationed for awhile in Portsmouth while in the Coast Guard. Currently residing in Northern Virginia. Are there any good shaving supply shops in the Tidewater area? How does one determine the proper amount of hydration in lather? Thanks again.

Practice is the key, don't worry, you will get there.

For the shaving supplies, look at this thread: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=242

I prefer a fairly wet lather, but not so wet it falls off my face. Yoghurty is a good consistency to aim for, if it's too thick and goopy it will dry out in no time.

Load up more soap and use more water.

I don't use a Progress often, I find it very aggressive, although they're not standarised, and different progresses will be less or more aggressive at equal settings. I would dial it all the way down to begin with.

I personally shave every other day, as I find shaving daily to be uncomfortable and occasionally irritating. If you continue to have problems with dry lather I'd recommend practicing even when you aren't shaving. Mantic's videos on Youtube are an excellent resource, as are the online tutorials located here at B&B. Welcome to the hobby. We hope you'll find enjoyment from your time here on the site.

Certainly sounds as though the lather isn't quite right yet, from personal experience I found that experimenting with the consistency was one of the keys to getting an irritation free shave.

The Progress is widely regarded as an aggressive razor, it needs to be treated with respect, especially while you're learning he ropes.

Good luck!

The above posts offer good advice.

I shave every day but do not always use my Progress. For me the first pass is always WTG and that is different for my checks, mustache, and neck.

So, map your face and try shaving WTG on the first pass.

Top Bottom