What's new

Keeping Automatic Watches Wound

I only have one auto watch at the moment, I never wore it since I'm waiting for a strap, but I did a test. I took the watch in my hand, and swung my arm like if I was country skiing (30 times back and forth). Then I left the watch on my desk. It kept running for over a week (to my surprise).

I don't think I have an amazing watch, paid under 100$ for it, so maybe you could look dumb for a few minutes like I did and it would solve your problem.

Hmm. With the exception of some very high end watches with unusual mvmts the typical watch either auto or handwind runs about 40 hours fully wound. There are some that go 60 and a few that go a week.

I bought a cheap winder online - it hold 4 watches for winding and another 8 in slots. It looks nice enough with a piano glass finish and glass fronted lid but it doesn't keep the watches wound. It does the rotation part OK on a timer - a few turns about every 10 minutes. After a week or two the watches are stopped or way off in time. Doesn't seem to work with any make of watch that I have tried. I just use if for storage and wind the watches before I wear them.

I purchased an inexpensive watch winder from Time Tutelary. It holds two watches, has a number of TPD (turns per day)/rest period settings and can alternate directions. It does the job well and it is quiet. Here is what I purchased...

http://www.watch-winder.co.uk/Time-Tutelary-KA015.htm

Contrary to popular belief, you do not have to spend a lot of money to get a good watch winder.

Last edited:
Top Bottom