What's new

I got some 4711!

I'm in the midst of some bad CAD and ASAD! I've been working my way through different scents, seing what works and what doesn't work (see this thread: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=154468 )

I was in Walmart buy steaks for a Father's Day cookout and somehow I end up on the cologne aisle. :biggrin1: Low and behold, they have 4711 on the shelf!

I snagged it up and tried it as soon as I got home. It's really pretty good. It does start off with a citronella flair, but calms down quickly, with some florals underneath. SWMBO said it was a little feminine after the dry down ( I kind of agree), but it wasn't too girly. For a scent originating in the late 1700's, I consider this one a success. My only gripe is that I've passed gas that had more staying power.:lol:

I did try an experiment this morning... I have an 'our version of....' cologne that has a nice light scent (not really a 'version' of anything), but no real complexity to it. I applied the 4711, then applied the cologne after a minute or two. The result....very nice!!! :thumbup: The 4711 added some needed tones underneath and the secondary cologne kind of drug the 4711 for a longer ride.

... It does start off with a citronella flair, but calms down quickly, ... My only gripe is that I've passed gas that had more staying power.:lol:

Yep, that's the nature of the beast. Citrus top notes fade quickly. Other examples quick faders are Penhaligon Blenheim Bouquet and CK One.

I purchased my first bottle in 1963 ,and I can tell you 4711 is one of the very few splashes that has not cheapened their formula since that period in time...my thoughts on the lasting ability are this...aftershaves and high proof mens colognes are made to heal,seal,soothe and disinfect the freshly shaved skin...the aroma is not made to last,this leaves you ,an hour or so later,free to put on your gentlemans "perfume" without any clash of scents...
"

I purchased my first bottle in 1963 ,and I can tell you 4711 is one of the very few splashes that has not cheapened their formula since that period in time...my thoughts on the lasting ability are this...aftershaves and high proof mens colognes are made to heal,seal,soothe and disinfect the freshly shaved skin...the aroma is not made to last,this leaves you ,an hour or so later,free to put on your gentlemans "perfume" without any clash of scents...
"

Thanks for posting those pics! I originally purchased it to be able to experience it from a historical perspective. After application, I was pleasantly suprised. It really is a quality product (in my limited experience). There's no one thing I can put my finger on, but I really like it. It did leave my face feeling refreshed, which is something I don't experience with all aftershave splashes. That combined with the ability to lay another more fragrant cologne on top of it without clashing was a real treat.

SWMBO gave me the 'mmm. you smell nice' this morning so I took that as a sign. She never lies about my scent to spare my feelings. :biggrin1:

Try the 4711 Portugal if you can find it. Very nice.

I'll have to keep an eye out for that one. I'll probably have to order it online. I was lucky that Walmart had what they did. My geographical location is not exactly the hotbed for nice scents. :lol:

Thanks for posting those pics! I originally purchased it to be able to experience it from a historical perspective. After application, I was pleasantly suprised. It really is a quality product (in my limited experience). There's no one thing I can put my finger on, but I really like it. It did leave my face feeling refreshed, which is something I don't experience with all aftershave splashes. That combined with the ability to lay another more fragrant cologne on top of it without clashing was a real treat.

SWMBO gave me the 'mmm. you smell nice' this morning so I took that as a sign. She never lies about my scent to spare my feelings. :biggrin1:

for me,it's a fleeting rush of mixed citrus rinds in high quality perfumers alcohol...

Another fan of 4711 here. It might not last long, but it is one of my night shaving favorites. Since I shower in the morning, I can wear a different scent during the day. But at night, there are few better pleasures than slapping on some 4711 post-shave and drifting off with its wonderful scent.

Another fan of 4711 here. It might not last long, but it is one of my night shaving favorites. Since I shower in the morning, I can wear a different scent during the day. But at night, there are few better pleasures than slapping on some 4711 post-shave and drifting off with its wonderful scent.
I totally agree. I grab a small 3ml sample, just enough for two after-shaving, and found it very refreshing and nice smelling. After that try I ordered a 400ml bootle and it's waiting me at the post office. I'll have it saturday and I'm eager...
I like so much to splash a little on my chest before going to bed... :thumbup:

Hmm. I should give this another go as aftershave. I didn't like it at first whiff, and have only sprayed my extremities in case the citronellol works to repel insects. It wasn't offensive, but I'm a bit of an Aqua Velva Blue addict.

Proud owner of a 27oz bottle bought online for like $28 free shipping.
As cheap as this stuff is the appeal is timeless and classic.
Can't see why many Germans hate it.

4711 is great stuff... my father used to wear it all the time, I remember playing with an empty bottle in the bathtub as a baby.

if its only $6 at walmart, I'll have to pick up a bottle.

I also enjoy 4711 aftershave. Glad you managed to get some as I sometimes find it hard to get it here in Canada. Fortunately, Fendrihan has some available... for now.

Top Bottom