What's new

Boring Post: Pre-pre-pre-shave preparation.

As I am removing a full beard that I have worn for approximately 99% of the last 30 years, I decided, after all due diligence, to go with wet shaving in a last attempt of pursuing a clean-shaven appearance as a real year round option. The beard has been necessary due to what I have always believed to sensitive skin and being a Black man perhaps genetically predisposed to razor bumps and ingrown hairs.
I don't discount either as truths, but I have noticed that in the past 5 years I have been able to shave somewhat successfully – for up to a week before the irritation got too bad - with a Norelco electric. It shaves dry and I use a little shave oil I got online about 6 years ago as a pre-shave. I don't know if it is the shave oil - which smells heavily of both olive and castor oils - or, the fact that I am feeling less irritation because as we age our skin changes. For better for worse? YMMV.
Using a set of clippers with a 1/8 inch guide attached I made several passes N-S until I had a consistent length of beard. I was also able to establish a grain for different areas of the beard once it was reduced to what amounts to very long stubble. I can see the direction the hairs on my chin and neck are growing. BIG surprise in both areas. The chin hairs and neck hairs both grow away from each other starting from the middle of my face. Following the grain in these areas with the clippers and the guard actually made a difference, as I was able to pick off several longer hairs that had been passed over in my N-S path. This is enough for me to take a bigger sip of the kool-aid.
I am waiting for my samples from Scotto and LetterK to arrive, but I still haven't got the Razor or the Brush yet. While I wait for the first delivery I have started a mild regimen of Nivea for Men facewash, sensitive. I also walked across the street from work and bought a bottle of Thayer AF lavender witch hazel w/aloe from the Vitamin Shoppe along with a sleeve of round cotton pads for applicators. Right now I am using these on the T-area and all around my neck twice a day. I could definitely feel a very pleasant, and distant tingling when rinsed my face clean of the Nivea, and then an equally pleasing cool from the witch hazel that gets applied to the washed and patted dry areas on my face and neck. The round cotton pads were suggested by another poster, I can't remember who but, they are the ANSWER, son! The ones I found even have one side that is designed as a more efficient applicator, while the other side is designed for absorption and removal. The added benefit is that by applying lavender scented witch hazel I can establish whether or not I should expect any problems from some of the scented creams I selected for my sample pack from Scotto. So far so good.
One step I will add once the samples arrive, and I wait for razor and brush, will be to take a fingertip of each sample in turn, and apply it to my inner arm on successive nights after showering. If I have a reaction from any of them I will probably not want to shave with it at all. I am hoping to narrow it down to 3 that I can't do without. I might then place another order to Scotto and hope to get two samples apiece of my 3 favorites - this presumes of course that his list doesn't expand in the interim to include something that wasn't around the first time I looked.
The point of more samples is that I will also be evaluating blades. I will want to continue testing each blade with my favorite creams until I can comfortably match blade and lather for MY optimal shave.
I know it gets boring reading all the way to the end only to learn that - Geez! This guy STILL hasn't #%@*!ing shaved!
Sorry gents ... it's my face.

Nothing wrong with detailed prep work and methodical experimentation. Only way to get a routine together that works for your face. Sounds like you'll be ready to go quickly when you do take that first shave!

Nothing wrong with all of your prep and not shaving yet. The fact that you are willing to invest the time and effort now will lead to great shaves later.

Most newcomers to wetshaving do not put in as much time or into mapping the growth of their hair pattern until after the problems occur. Eventually, they learn but why go through discomfort when with good planning amd execution, you can have minimal downsides.

As another black male predisposed to ingrowns and having sensitive skin, I understand why you had the beard for so long. If I had not been in the army, i probably would have had one also. I too noticed that the electric would give passable shaves initially, but irritation, road rash, and ingrowns always made an appearance. Thankfully, that is no longer my problem.:a14: :shaving:

Any help I can give you, just let me know. :biggrin:

Marty

All of the prep work should help you be more successful when you do have everything there to take the plunge. Just remember to take it slow when you do start shaving, don't try to go for BBS right away. Start off with one pass WTG and grow from there as you get comfortable with the technique.

The simple fact that you are willing to invest TIME in getting things right is proof that you are cut from the right cloth to be successful at wet shaving.

Good luck, and enjoy! I'm sure you'll start getting results very quickly. One word of caution however, if you have a plethora of different products to try out, just change one thing at a time if you do have problems, then you'll know what makes the difference.

I have the same problems as you do...My hair on my face is very curly..and so much so that I have tried a lot of things friends would say worked for them..including shaving powder, bumpstop blades..etc..Nothing seemed to work. I too would walk around with a light beard most of the time. I would have family and friends tell me that I need to shave because I look like a mess..They just didn't understand!...

So now that I DE wet shave I have very few problems...I still get one or two bumps but not like I did. One of the problems I faced sounded like yours..the hair on my neck grows in all different directions...

So I took the time to graph my face ..and it has paid off...

Taking your time is the best way if you have a real bad problem..

OH...is that "red" your were drinking? :w00t:

Top Bottom