What's new

Who let the chicken out?

Ok, this probably sounds silly, but I've never figured out a good way to get a whole chicken out of the packaging (plastic bag cinched up with a metal band). I seem to try a different approach every time, and always end up fighting gravity and plastic with a knife.

I'm about to cook one now, and I'm gonna see if I can't just cut that cinch off this time, but maybe someone has a better idea for next time?

Do you have a good par of kitchen scissors or shears? I open almost everything with them, and they're useful for cutting the metal brands off as long as they only catch the skin. Some people use it cut the whole chicken into parts.

I set it in the sink, then use shears or a knife to slice the cinch off. You can then pull the bag of giblets out and [make stock|cook and eat|feed to cat]. After that, the chicken comes out pretty easily and you can pour any blood out of the cavity and into the sink. I usually rinse the bag so that it doesn't make the garbage stink.

Making Yakitori with the livers and hearts is awesome, by the way. Fire makes everything tasty!

...You can then pull the bag of giblets out...

Or you can leave it right in there, where God put it when he designed roasters.

Beer can, bag o'giblets - it all makes for a moist bird when you plug up its innards with something wet. And the dog likes the soggy overcooked giblets a lot better than a steamed beer can. :thumbup:

Roger

Top Bottom