What's new

Fedora

Greetings all. I am interetsed in getting back to the "Old school" ways when times were simpler. For example: when men were gentlement and wore suits daily; wore hats; actually read the paper, etc. My question is this...can anyone tell me the exact type and/or style of the hat that the gentlement is wearing on the home page of this website? That is truly a beautiful hat and I would like to find out more about them and possibly start wearing them. Not too sure if I could pull it off or not but would love to give it a shot.

Steve

I have a fedora from Goorin Bros that I really like a lot. I think they are based out of CA, but I bought mine in a store in Denver. You can also order them from their website.

that appears to be a late 30's photo possibly early 40's...with that the fedora is a "center dent" style with a 2 1/2" to maybe 2 5/8" brim. the grosgain ribbon is measured in lines, but it looks like 2" to me ...

if you wanted this exact hat, then I would say contact Art Fawcett at vintage sillohettes (something like that) He is a very good hatter and very easy to work with. I have several from him, and they all are "works of Art'" When you stop by him website, check out "The Tucker" that is the one that I developed and he sells regularly...$300 to $350 i believe.

next Steve Delk at Adventurebuilt hats. He is know for making the Indy Jones Hats so well, that Steven Speilberg...hired him to make the hats on the last movie....someplace in the archives there are pictures of one of those hats...however, Steve isn;t limited to one hat, he can make you anything but a sewn finished brim...another fine gentleman, but be prepared to be put on a waiting list....last time i bought...about $250..

hatsdirect from down under...is the place to buy an Akubra hat...thier service is wonderful....you can check out thier line and get fairly close to what you are looking for in a "production hat"...

There are other hatters in the US, including Optimo from Chicago, I hear wonderful things about them, but have never down business with them. I hear of a gentleman in Memphis that does a nice job.

Stay away from The Gladhatter out of Virginia, too many bad stories abouthim. Google the term and find out for yourself.

Check out the Fedora Lounge forum and you will find alot of info that you are requesting, then come back here and post your pics of your new hat....be careful it can be just as addicting as shaving...

have fun, I hope I have shed some light on your interests....:001_huh:

I am with you, but walking around with one might cause you to get some looks. Your kids might not want to go to dinner with you either.

This is my favorite place to get hats.

http://www.noggintops.com/page.cfm?p=17 (that's the fedoras page).

I have the black Stetson Temple, which used to be the "official" Indiana Jones hat. They lost the licensing rights, so now it's just the "Temple."

I think it would look weird to wear it all the time. I am a lawyer, and when I go to court I carry a briefcase or two. This is my rain hat. It is so convenient and fun to wear it instead of carrying an umbrella. I've had the hat for about 9 years, and it still looks and works great. Do a search for noggintop coupons and you should be able to find one.

BTW, the real Indiana Jones hat from the original movies was made in England by Herbert Johnson Hatters and can be purchased for a ton of money. The stetson works fine for me.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I'll admit that when you first wear it out, you will feel self conscious - for about 10 minutes.
Then you forget it is there.
I have had far far many more comments like "Great Hat! where did you get it?"
Than I have had funny looks.
Do try to go to a hat shop or at least take someone with you when you try some on so that you get a hat that fits the shape of your face.
Skimpy brims are all the rage now, but it's a look that takes a particular shape face to pull it off well.
Likewise with a large brim.
Hats Plus in Chicago is another great shop with a wide variety of different prices for the new guy to hats to choose from.

You can tell by my avatar that I am wearing my straw fedora...its hot and sunny now in missouri...but when the fall come my dress fedoras will come back out...

I love everyone, but it is my skin that I am protecting in the sun and I am at the maturity level and age, that I really don;t care what you think about me.

I always say that I dress in a semi-professional way, especially around my town. The ones that wears ties are going to bury or screw you...and I have had plenty of compliments about my hats...and I get better service when I walk into the door of a business, too.

Here is a piece of sound advice, know your hat manners. Know when to uncover in a second nature fashion. You will be recognized for that, especially when you walk into a resturant and you are admist in a sea of ballcaps....Usually the ballcaps don;t know when to uncover....

Thus during a recent world series, they announced, "Ladies and Gentlemen, please remove your ball caps during the National Anthem" Why did they have to announce that?

hat wearers already had thier hats off....

so wear a hat and be recognized...its not a tatoo, you can change them daily !!!!

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

I go out in slacks, wingtips, dress shirt, vest, and fedora. I'll accessorize with a nice ring and watch from time to time, though my favorite watch is a crappy Seiko knockoff, go figure. Too hot for the jacket now, alas. I tend to get compliments on the hat, and no odd looks -- but I have enough grey in my beard and hair to legitimately mutter about 'damn kids' and not have it come off too silly.

I have been fortunate to acquire several types of fedoras from inexpensive $10-15 to mid range $75. Since I am completed bald, it is a matter of protection from heat and cold as well as a good, solid look. The more expensive versions are meant to be worn with suits and ties, but some of them can also be worn with windbreaker jackets and khaki slacks. Be sure to match the hat to your coat and/or slacks color wise so that the hat does not look out of place and you should do fine.

Enjoy!

P.S. Looking like a gentleman should never really go out of style. Now if I can just make the rest of me look...never mind.

I wear this one everwhere and with jeans or a suit...this is "The Tucker" by Art Fawcett....

full

Last edited by a moderator:
That is some great advice from all. Thank you so much. Mark, I do have to agree and say that is a beautiful hat. Time to get shopping.

Mr. Perspective - If I may ask, what was your rank and designator in the Navy?

Steve

I'll admit that when you first wear it out, you will feel self conscious - for about 10 minutes.
Then you forget it is there.
I have had far far many more comments like "Great Hat! where did you get it?"
Than I have had funny looks.

Yep. Most frequent comment I get is either a non-sarcastic "Hey, where'd you buy that?" or "Man, wish I had the _____ to wear one." Older ladies occasionally comment positively as well...probably reminds them of dad.

Fedoras come in all shapes, sizes, and styles. You can buy retail, custom, or vintage.

My advice is to try to find a retail shop to try on different fedoras. The reason is to find out what hat size you are and if you prefer narrorw or wide brims, low or high crowns. Fedoras look different depending on the face shape wearing them.

Expect to feel slightly self conscious the first time you wear one in public. Most likely no one but you will notice it.
It takes confidence to pull off a fedora. Most people are content with baseball caps and fear the well dressed man. :001_smile
Enjoy!

Last edited:
Top Bottom