What's new

Heretic and embarrassed..

Hi All,
I needed a quick "trim" today. Not BSS, but decent, and I decided to use my shaving cream from the old days: Neutrogena Skin Clearing Shave Cream. This cream only requires a thin layer per shave. As all Neutrogena products, this is very good quality. After a quick north south with some across the grain passes, my face ended up soft, no irritation and very fresh. I remembered why I moved from Nivea to this loooong time ago.

On the other hand, soap (VDH) is very nice, but after a month or so, I've been noticing my skin getting a little coarse... the hair folicles widened. With the Neutrogena I ended up with a very healthy look on my skin today.

I need to experiment more with this cream to really tell, so I'll post my report after a week or so.

Ok, so this makes me a heretic, but I am also testing what works for my skin, and as we all know here, skins vary greatly.

Hi All,
I needed a quick "trim" today. Not BSS, but decent, and I decided to use my shaving cream from the old days: Neutrogena Skin Clearing Shave Cream. This cream only requires a thin layer per shave. As all Neutrogena products, this is very good quality. After a quick north south with some across the grain passes, my face ended up soft, no irritation and very fresh. I remembered why I moved from Nivea to this loooong time ago.

On the other hand, soap (VDH) is very nice, but after a month or so, I've been noticing my skin getting a little coarse... the hair folicles widened. With the Neutrogena I ended up with a very healthy look on my skin today.

I need to experiment more with this cream to really tell, so I'll post my report after a week or so.

Ok, so this makes me a heretic, but I am also testing what works for my skin, and as we all know here, skins vary greatly.

Perhaps you should try something other than a $2.00 soap. :mad3:

+1 At the very least, Real Shaving Co. Creams are quite good at $5 a tube.

Fear not, we will give you a chance to repent and redeem yourself before we start out with the Pitchforlks and Torches. :lol:

VDH is quite a good soap, and frankly, the cost of the product should have little bearing on efficacy. I agree with JDV, in that there aren't any rules to this game; use any product you like. Stilll, the OP may want to try out some soaps or creams that are more skin friendly, or consider an aftershave balm like SCS Sahara.

VDH is quite a good soap, and frankly, the cost of the product should have little bearing on efficacy.

I disagree. While selling a product at outrageous prices may make it appear more "luxury" or "high quality" to some, good soaps cost more money to produce than average soaps. I'm not saying that VDH can't deliver good performance, but rather that better soaps can cost more than VDH without being usurious or profiteering.

I think it's helpful to all involved if we don't equate quality with price. VDH is serviceable, but it's certainly not a good product as I define "good". Haslinger is a very nice soap that's also cheap (got mine for $5, but I notice some e-tailers are selling it for over $9). There are others. VDH isn't "good" in my estimation because of the poor skin condition its users encounter if they don't take special measures, and many soaps are much better performers in terms of latherability, moisturizing qualities, scent, and efficacy. The fact that it's not "good" has nothing to do with the price...

first, thanks for the input on soaps and creams. I may try The Real Shaving or Haslinger soap (that one is quite expensive... $9 on amazon)

Anyways, I am not alone in the Neutrogena Arena. It has pretty good reviews (after you filter the reviews of the people that thought it would lather. It says on the tube that this is not a lather cream) So I'll try it for a week or so, then try a different one to compare and test. I am tempted to try the TRS cream.

Will see.
Thanks!

first, thanks for the input on soaps and creams. I may try The Real Shaving or Haslinger soap (that one is quite expensive... $9 on amazon)

Anyways, I am not alone in the Neutrogena Arena. It has pretty good reviews (after you filter the reviews of the people that thought it would lather. It says on the tube that this is not a lather cream) So I'll try it for a week or so, then try a different one to compare and test. I am tempted to try the TRS cream.

Will see.
Thanks!

If you think $9 is expensive for soaps, you should log off now and never come back :lol:

If you think $9 is expensive for soaps, you should log off now and never come back :lol:

I know that you were being facetious, but to be fair 60 grams for $9 without a bowl isn't exactly cheap, per quantity. In fact, Tabac, MWF (refill), and PDP are all cheaper per quantity and those are held in pretty high esteem.

I disagree. While selling a product at outrageous prices may make it appear more "luxury" or "high quality" to some, good soaps cost more money to produce than average soaps. I'm not saying that VDH can't deliver good performance, but rather that better soaps can cost more than VDH without being usurious or profiteering.
BIG +1

You can't use one $2 soap and make any sort of judgement on whether soaps are for you or not. Soaps vary in quality.

Hi All,

I've used Nuetrogena shaving cream, and found it to be pretty effective compared to the Noxema Sensitive canned cream that I had previously used. I also used Neutrogena Daily Moisturizer for many years, and it worked very well for me. But I kept looking for the "perfect shave" products, and found several that work better for me. I'd suggest getting a green tube of C.O Bigelow/Proraso for $5 at your local Bath & Body Works, and see if you can't tell the difference. For me, it was a pretty noticeable improvement in the quality of the shave.

I'd suggest getting a green tube of C.O Bigelow/Proraso for $5 at your local Bath & Body Works, and see if you can't tell the difference. For me, it was a pretty noticeable improvement in the quality of the shave.

+1 for me. My shaving world opened up the moment I went out and bought the tube of COB/Proraso shaving cream. As with many others, that single acquisition, along with a badger shaving brush, was the turning point from which there is no turning back. I soon discovered that whatever I'd been looking for was something more than VDH soap.

Speaking about cost: When your kid wants an ice cream cone (something that brings joy) do you hand him or her a cracker and say, there, that's cheaper, eat that? No of course not, the same's true of the joy that I get from spending a couple of bucks extra to get something that is more than just meets minimum requirements.

If we're all about spending little or nothing on shaving, then we can grow a beard. Problem solved. No joy, no expense. Just my opinion, not necessarily applicable to anybody else, but certainly applicable to me.

I've used Nuetrogena shaving cream, and found it to be pretty effective compared to the Noxema Sensitive canned cream that I had previously used. I also used Neutrogena Daily Moisturizer for many years, and it worked very well for me. But I kept looking for the "perfect shave" products, and found several that work better for me. I'd suggest getting a green tube of C.O Bigelow/Proraso for $5 at your local Bath & Body Works, and see if you can't tell the difference. For me, it was a pretty noticeable improvement in the quality of the shave.

+ 1 to the Bigelow/Proraso. The small tube is $5 and right now Bath and Body is having a sale on Bigelow products that is buy two get two free; would be a great time to stock up!

GREAT soaps/ creams are available for $6 and less! My quest has been to find the best bargain out there for my skin and I've found no fewer than 10 which are great for daily shaving.

GREAT soaps/ creams are available for $6 and less! My quest has been to find the best bargain out there for my skin and I've found no fewer than 10 which are great for daily shaving.

True. For one, Saint Charles Shave soaps. These are absolutely amazing soaps, and priced at 6 bucks/puck. These will not dry your face. If anything, it's almost like they moisturize the face.

True. For one, Saint Charles Shave soaps. These are absolutely amazing soaps, and priced at 6 bucks/puck. These will not dry your face. If anything, it's almost like they moisturize the face.

+1. SCS Almond was the first soap that surprised me by leaving my face feel like it had been moisturized after shaving.

Top Bottom