What's new

Online source of coconut oil?

I'm running low on my homemade deodorant and went to Walmart tonight to get a jar of coconut oil. Unfortunately it looks like they stopped carrying it. We don't have any asian grocery stores in the area, so I'm thinking of just ordering some online. I'm hoping with all of the crafty people here on B&B that someone will be able to recommend a reputable vendor to buy from. Anyone?

No Whole Foods up here. I'm near San Luis Obispo, and there is damn near nothing in this area. I'll be moving back down to San Diego in a few weeks and know I can find it there, but my deodorant supply won't last till then. I'm gonna check the GNC store tomorrow, and maybe another local health food store, but with the odd looks I've gotten so far in looking for it I don't have much hope.

http://soaperschoice.com/ but I think they have large minimums.. I have found the others to be priced alongside of their hype.. and I have never convinced that one man's coconut is better than another..

There are small folks out there.. omg did I say that! who specialize in oils especially coconut... and WOW what a premium they charge..

best thing.. google until you are happy...

Hugs, Sue

I'm running low on my homemade deodorant and went to Walmart tonight to get a jar of coconut oil. Unfortunately it looks like they stopped carrying it. We don't have any asian grocery stores in the area, so I'm thinking of just ordering some online. I'm hoping with all of the crafty people here on B&B that someone will be able to recommend a reputable vendor to buy from. Anyone?

I have heard of the oil thing.. but try the alum blocks.. seriously.. there is a vendor who has them in a deodoran tube that is extrememly interesting.

I strongly recommend camdengrey.com. I recently purchased 4 lbs. for around $26. Split it with my girlfriend. ;) That should last me for a long time.

You don't have to purchase that muchh if that is more than you need, of course. That site is an excellent source of EE oils and clays, as well.

EDIT: The shipping would drive that price up a bit. I think it's a flat $8.95 for orders under a certain weight. I usually make large orders from the site so I don't make them frequently.

Last edited:
Every grocery store I have been to sells it with the cooking oil. If your local go-to store doesn't carry it anymore, try another one.

Thanks for all the replies. I ended up binding it at a small health food store today. Sooner or later I want to make some bigger batches, though, so knowing where to buy online helps a lot.

I never heard of using coconut oil for homemade deodorant. can you share the recipe and tell me why you like it better than some of the over the counter all natural ones.

thanks,

Well, the basic ingredients, in order of most to least, are corn starch, coconut oil, baking soda, and tea tree oil. I've worked the recipe to where I think it works well, but at this point I'm not ready to share it :001_smile. I've tossed around the idea of seeing if I can make and sell it locally, so that's the only reason to keep it to myself for the time being. Overall, it's really simple and there are articles on the net about how to make it, so I say just experiment with it and see what works for you. None of the articles I read gave me what I wanted, so it took some work and a few batches to get it in the ballpark. You have to figure out if you want it creamy or a little harder, and just adjust ingredients accordingly.

I've been using this stuff for about a year or more now, and will never go back to regular deodorant. This works better, smells better, and will not leave the spots in the armpits of your t-shirts that regular deodorant will. It's not technically an antiperspirant, but I feel like I sweat much much less than I used to when I would wear Old Spice Red Zone, which was the only deod that would work for me.

Last edited:
Top Bottom