What's new

Best razor for sensitive/acne prone skin?

I recently bought the Gillette Sensor Excel and used it but it did not seem to get as close of a shave as I wanted. I'm looking for a good razor that will get me a close shave without irritating my sensitive/acne prone skin. How are the Gillette Proglide and the Schick Hydro 5?

This may or may not sound a little weird, but I suggest you go ahead and try a DE razor. The DE won't irritate your face as much as the sensor (and definitely not as much as the fusion/proglide-trust me, I speak from experience) and you might find that after shaving your face will not only feel better, but it may clear up a bit. Don't buy the "5 blades reduces surface pressure" shtick, 5 blades running over your skin means 5 times the irritation. Follow up with a nice aftershave and I guarantee you'll find things more enjoyable. A dry, irritated face = more acne, while a hydrated, non-irritated face = less acne. I speak entirely from experience here.

On a second note, if you have insurance, I suggest you ask your doctor about differin-it worked wonders for my acne.

get rid of the acne by using an product that exfoliates you face,there are many to choose from and then put on Paul Mitchells tea tree hair and body moisturizer morning and night.Plus and this is an extremly step to clean your face,DO NOT DRINK ANY DRINKS WITH CARBONATED WATER,stay away from cokes,dr pepper,sprite and etc.

I recently bought the Gillette Sensor Excel and used it but it did not seem to get as close of a shave as I wanted. I'm looking for a good razor that will get me a close shave without irritating my sensitive/acne prone skin. How are the Gillette Proglide and the Schick Hydro 5?

1) multi-bladed razors will irritate your skin more
2) get a DE from EBAY or some wetshaving website (royalshave.com, westcoastshaving.com, artofshaving.com etc.)
3)add more lather to your face that might help as well

If you can get a Gillette Blue Tip on eBay or somewhere else, and they usually aren't too expensive, that might be a good start. Supposed to be a mild razor, I have one and it does seem milder than others. It is a DE razor.

BTW, what are you using as lather? Maybe that is irritating to your skin?

Welcome to B&B!

Skip the cartridge razors and go to DE. I've tried all of them (save the ProGlide, but I will get one shortly) and none of them perform as well as DE. You can get a great shave from pretty much any DE. Once you learn the technique, you can shave with anything. Don't expect to get great shaves the first few weeks, but you will progress and become an expert shaver like so many at B&B.

You will want a sampler pack of blades because everyone is different. The only way to find the right blade is to try a bunch of them.

When you get DE down, you might discover that you don't have sensitive skin. I used to think I did, but it turns out my skin is normal. The problem was that I was using a bad cartridge razor. Hopefully, you will make the same discovery. :smile:

Acne is a different matter. Diet helps as well as taking steps to be clean. The good news is that DE can also help you have clearer skin. I've never had much trouble with acne, but I've read about many here who cleared up with DE. Using a quality shave soap (as opposed to canned goo) helps, too.

If you're on a budget, look around antique and junk stores for an old Gillette DE. Last week, I picked up four more between $3-$5 each. You can, too, and they're relativel easy to clean and sterilize. You will find good tutorials here on how to do that, as well.

So give DE a try. You will save a lot of money over cartridge razors, get a fantastically close shave and possibly end up with clear skin.

I recommend a merkur 23c. it has a long handle and it's very easy to use especially if you've never used a DE razor before. The learning curve is literally a few seconds. It's almost as fast as a mach 3 or sensor excel.

my face has completely cleared up from all of the irritation of a mach 3. and I've only been at this for about two months.

Get a facial brush and some all natural organic bar soap and scrub your face two times per day.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000K8CQ6I?ie=UTF8&force-full-site=1

http://www.luckyvitamin.com/c-578-bar-soaps?view=&Query=&sort_by_field=Rating:DESC

http://www.luckyvitamin.com/c-576-acne-care?view=&Query=&sort_by_field=Rating:DESC

I also like the 23C as it is long and light weight and that makes it easy to control and it will glide lighter than a 4 ounce razor at twice the weight. Good for gliding over your acne.

www.BullGooseShaving.net <~~ Phil carries some nice bar soap from Pre de Provence that would be great for scrubbing your face.

For blades I recommend Personna Reds to start out with and when your getting proficient then move to Iridium for sure or even feather if you feel super confident. Personally I think sample blade packs contain a few worth having and a bunch that will only hinder your learning curve. Start with the Personna Reds and read blade reviews.

I think soap would be a good way for you to go, it will clean your skin better than the creams. Seems that way with me any way.

I highly recommend Thayers Medicated splash for an after shave. It has a little more alcohol than the other flavors of Thayers. I like Thayers just before I lather up as well. It leaves your skin clean, dry, smooth, and soft.

Always wash your face with a facial brush or even your shave brush before you shave. Clean skin before, during, and after will help you ditch the acne.

I know many people do all sorts of weird stuff to keep their skin and lather as hot as possible until they begin shaving. I believe a hot shower or face wash is good but you don't want your skin super duper hot when you shave. Heat produces inflammation and open pores. Both are detrimental to shaving. Instead, pretreat with soap and warm water and some Thayers and allow the lather to sit for a moment before you begin. If it begins to break down then add a few more layers of lather before you begin.

Never go against the grain until your face is cleared up and you have your technique down. Even then only on a second or third pass. Across the grain is usually better than against.

Good shaving starts with caring for your skin, not your technique. But technique is in second place for sure.

Start with one good soap instead of buying a bunch of cheap stuff to only then buy some good stuff. After my first shave with Truefitt & Hill soap I took all my cheap stuff and donated it to a person with a super tight wallet. I now have two good soaps and two good creams and I am set.

Remember, with the grain even if you need to hold the razor upside down and J hook it under your ears or do a super soft horizontal drag across the bottom of your neck. First sign of irritation means no more shaving in that spot.

A few weeks and you will get it figured out and see improvements in your skin.

Good Luck

Last edited:
I don't have acne prone skin, but I think you should start with the followint gear:
Razor: Muhle R89 -- a mild razor
Blades: Super Iridium, Gillette Bleue Extra, or a sample pack..
Speick Shave Stick or Palmolive Shave Stick, you should go for Speick because it's made without any artificial stuff in it.
Speick Aftershave Lotion. This stuff is great!!!! Smells amazing, and the ingredients are very helpful: Witch hazel, Speick plant extract, alum(just like the rock).
When I use Speick Soap + ASL, my skin feels great.
Just my suggestions.
Hope this helps.

get rid of the acne by using an product that exfoliates you face,there are many to choose from and then put on Paul Mitchells tea tree hair and body moisturizer morning and night.Plus and this is an extremly step to clean your face,DO NOT DRINK ANY DRINKS WITH CARBONATED WATER,stay away from cokes,dr pepper,sprite and etc.
Should I use a exfoliate right before each and every shave? Does this stuff work? http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31e27Nx-lfL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

First, what shaving cream are you using? Since you have the Sensor, I'd change your other variables first and see if you notice an improvement--sometimes a long-standing irritation goes away after you change things like shaving cream/soap.
I use the CVS Therapeutic Shave Gel. It say's "With natural colloidal oatmeal, eases razor irritation on dry, sensitive skin, fragrance free gel. A unique blend of lubricants helps moisturize the skin to deliver the closest, most comfortable shave." http://www.goodguide.com/products/280034-cvs-therapeutic-shave-gel

I agree with the folks who said stick with the sensor and change your other products. The sensor is a good cartridge razor.

Go watch some of the Mantic videos on you tube. Then get a good brush like a tweezer man and a glycerin shave soap. Follow good prep procedures and I think your face will improve and your shaves will too.

I suggest using a glycerin soap like Col Conk because tallow based soaps can clog pores, aggravating your acne issue.

If this works you can then try a DE razor or just stay with what works.

I would give a Bic Sensitive (single blade type) a go. These are so cheap, they are definitely worth a try and I find it very sharp but very forgiving to use. It is my normal everyday razor.

Just make sure you get the orange handled "Senstive" type and not the white handled ones which are a tad rough.

Should I use a exfoliate right before each and every shave? Does this stuff work? http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31e27Nx-lfL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

A simple complexion brush and some good soap with shea will work very well and leave your skin and beard in great shape for shaving. They will also be much cheaper and more effective than another tube of stuff to put on your face. :thumbup1:

http://www.amazon.com/Earth-Therapeutics-Happy-Complexion-Brush/dp/B000K8CQ6I

Toms of Maine
Pre de Provence
South of France
Lucky Tiger has soap for acne

Acne is a skin condition that, contrary to popular belief, is not characteristic of just a certain age group. There are many products out there, but not all of them deliver what they promise. Shaving acne prone skin is just constant torture. It's a headache to deal with it. Find out more about acne and other shaving and grooming topics, as well as, how to choose the best razor for men, by visiting bestrazorformen.net
Also read this article about shaving sensitive skin: http://ezinearticles.com/?Shaving-Tips-for-Sensitive-Skin&id=7840199

There are a lot of good tips above. I have acne prone skin. I would like to add one thing that I do the the above suggestions. I have a little jar of plain alcohol beside my sink. Before I shave in the morning, I dip my razor in it. After I finish shaving, I wash the razor, dip it in the jar of alcohol and then let it dry. Acne is caused by dirt and bacteria in your skin. When you're shaving, it seems to me like your skin is pretty open to dirt or bacteria from your razor. So, in my mind the alcohol dip is just one more way to help keep my skin just a little more clean.

Top Bottom