What's new

Can we talk about what this razor is worth?

I recently acquired a 1961 cased Executive (gold fatboy). Frankly, I bought it because I thought it was worth more than the selling price, and I was hoping to make a few bucks to feed my shaving "acquisition disorders". I would like to offer it on BST, if that is acceptable, so my fellow "razor hounds" can have first crack at it. I'm not clear if making a profit is allowed, as long as the price is fair. I can put it up on the 'bay of course, I was just hoping for some feedback on this type of discussion, don't want make anyone unhappy. If The razor is near mint, the case is excellent, except on the back where a small strip appears to be "melted", by heat, or paint thinner or something. I can of course post pictures, just wanted to get an ok first.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Common sense prevails.

If you found a Double Ring in an antique shop for $1.00 - no one would expect you to sell it on the BST for $1.00 - Not fair to you

If you found a Superspeed in an antique shop for $20.00 - no one would expect you to sell it on the BST for $25.00 - Not fair to B&B members

How would anyone know? They wouldn't.

But you do, and as this is a Gentlemens group, you know what is right and what isn't.

I think selling purely for profit is frowned upon.

Now, I am not a mod, but I wouldn't see a problem putting it up there as long as the price is fair. Seeing what the last few in the BST went for then upping the price $10 would be bad, but putting it up for same price, or maybe even a small cut since this is B&B shouldn't be a problem.

But IANAM (I am not a Mod)

When I buy on BST, I'm looking for something that is fairly priced and accurately described/pictured. I also don't really mind if you make a few dollars off of me. Why? Becuase, all I have to do here, is send a couple of emails and log into Paypal. Whereas, the seller, probably drove all over creation, dug through junk bins and antique stores, or at the very least, watched countless Ebay auctions for days on end and took the risk that it wouldn't be as described. Then you probably took the time to clean and sterlize it. Then you gotta take pictures and post it and answer questions. I expect you to make a few dollars for your trouble.

However, I recently saw a post about how a person (no names) got a steal on a razor, mentioned the price, & posted before and after pictures on how well it cleaned up. Within a day or 2 they listed the same razor on BST for substantially more than they paid for it. I quietly closed that post and made a note to myself not to buy from them.

When I sell something, I look at what similar items sold for on BST and price the same or a little less. A lot of times, I can't remember what exactly paid for a razor, so sometimes I may profit a buck or two, sometimes I may lose a buck or 2. I figure in the long run, Karma will sort it out.

Here are some quick pics, light is not that great now....I can't seem to get the wonderful quality some guys can. The razor appears unused, perfectly clean. The only issue is a couple of small spots where the case contacted the head, have to look very closely. I don't know if I can capture that in a photo. Oh yeah, it's an E4. The melted spot on the back of the case is visible...I looked through BST for a comparable set, saw a couple nice ones, but not with the case. I'm thinking $175....seem fair?

Honestly, without the mark I would say around $175 as a starting price. With the mark, less. Perhaps $150 or so? No lower, for sure. Please feel free to chime in.

To your benefit, the blades are still shrink wrapped.

Is it also missing the front cover or did these cases not have one? Looks like a catch at the top to me.

Here is an image of the case from Achim's site:

proxy.php

I think your price is on the high side. I bought one of Erwin here that he'd listed in the vendors section that was pristine for $85.

I have no idea what a going rate for these is. Of course, eBay is always an option, where it's understood that you're trying to sell for the highest price that anyone there will pay. The downside is that sometimes an item won't generate the interest that you thought it would, and you'll end up selling for less than you hoped.

I think your price is on the high side. I bought one of Erwin here that he'd listed in the vendors section that was pristine for $85.

I couldn't find this post....is Erwin his username? Can you post a link? Did the one you bought include the case?

I couldn't find this post....is Erwin his username? Can you post a link? Did the one you bought include the case?

You can find his thread in the vendor section, I think its titled "Gillette razors for sale" and his username is mwertje i believe.

$85 brand spankin new with case is an absolute steal. I remember seeing a minty executive sans case on the BST a little while back that sold for I think $95.

$85 is much too low for the set. The poster above me got an absolute steal. I would be Erwin didn't have much knowledge about pricing it because he deals with English made Gillette most of the time. I have seen a New in box, with the cardboard box shipper thing, price tag, ect, go for $300. I wouldn't expect the OP to sell for less than $150

Top Bottom