Thread: How to keep a hot towel hot

1. Question How to keep a hot towel hot

OK, so I have been wet shaving for a month or so, and like the whole hot towel deal, but I feel kinda foolish cause well, I cannot keep it hot..lol

I use a heavy wash cloth soaked in hot water but the thing cools down to nothing in less than a minute. So some of you experts help a newbie out and pass on a few tricks.

I am sure after I read them I will be like "DUH" I should have thought of that, but hey it never hurts to ask.

a towel warmer? lol no um what do you do to make your towel warm? maybe you could get a bowel big enough for the towel and fill it with hot water then put the towel in it when your not using it?

My sink is already filled with hot water for the shave so I just dunk and ring the water out as needed.
    Eric

Images

How long do you need to keep it warm for? I only keep mine on my face for max 30 sec.
    “The things you used to own, now they own you.”

Use reasonably thick hand towels rather than wash cloths - that'll keep it warm/hot for much longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Iakona View Post
    Use reasonably thick hand towels rather than wash cloths - that'll keep it warm/hot for much longer.
    That is what I remember seeing the barbers do back in the 50's. It was the size of the "hand towel" and rather thick terry cloth. Give it a try. You might become addicted!

The Pipes are calling; resistance is futile!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by catfish308 View Post
    My sink is already filled with hot water for the shave so I just dunk and ring the water out as needed.
    That's what I do -plus I use a very thick wash cloth.
    Jim P. - St. Petersburg, FL

ackvil (at) badgerandblade.com

Any questions? Just ask! Since I may not read all of the posts feel free to PM or Email me.

"Winning is
    like shaving - do it every day or you wind up looking like a bum."
    Jack Kemp

“Be a gentleman at all times. Shine your shoes, shave every day, be considerate of others, and don't chew with your mouth open.” Words of advice from my late mother.

I'm not sure how long you want it warm for but most barbers that don't have proper towel warmers just bang a damp towel in a microwave for a little bit.

If you do that though make sure the towel isn't WET only a bit damp and make sure the inside of the towel doesn't get so hot you hurt yourself.

I've only ever worked in a barbers that has proper towel warmers so unfortunately I can't tell you how long you would need to microwave one for so it might take a bit of trail and error if you want to go down that route but not many people have a microwave in their bathroom .
    An rud is annamh, is iontach

Images

I had the same problem. I tend to keep my towel on for two to three minutes. It is very calming. Here is my routine. I fill my sink with hot water. I put my brush and a hand towel in the water while I shower. After my shower, I lather up and put the hot towel on my face. I then take a regular full size towel and lay over top of this. When done, I used the full size towel for the rest of my ritual. Perhaps I'm crazy, but that is what woks for me.
    Blake - A legend among the voices in his head.