Thread: How to keep a hot towel hot

Question How to keep a hot towel hot

OK, so I have been wet shaving for a month or so, and like the whole hot towel deal, but I feel kinda foolish cause well, I cannot keep it hot..lol

I use a heavy wash cloth soaked in hot water but the thing cools down to nothing in less than a minute. So some of you experts help a newbie out and pass on a few tricks.

I am sure after I read them I will be like "DUH" I should have thought of that, but hey it never hurts to ask.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

a towel warmer? lol no um what do you do to make your towel warm? maybe you could get a bowel big enough for the towel and fill it with hot water then put the towel in it when your not using it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

My sink is already filled with hot water for the shave so I just dunk and ring the water out as needed.
    Eric

Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

How long do you need to keep it warm for? I only keep mine on my face for max 30 sec.
    “The things you used to own, now they own you.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Use reasonably thick hand towels rather than wash cloths - that'll keep it warm/hot for much longer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Iakona View Post
    Use reasonably thick hand towels rather than wash cloths - that'll keep it warm/hot for much longer.
    That is what I remember seeing the barbers do back in the 50's. It was the size of the "hand towel" and rather thick terry cloth. Give it a try. You might become addicted!

The Pipes are calling; resistance is futile!

Images
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by catfish308 View Post
    My sink is already filled with hot water for the shave so I just dunk and ring the water out as needed.
    That's what I do -plus I use a very thick wash cloth.
    Jim P. - Chandler, Arizona

ackvil (at) badgerandblade.com
    Arizona Retro Shave Enthusiast.
    Any questions? Just ask! Since I may not read all of the posts feel free to PM or Email me.

"Winning is
    like shaving - do it every day or you wind up looking like a bum."
    Jack Kemp

Be a gentleman at all times. Shine your shoes, shave every day, be considerate of others, and don't chew with your mouth open. Words of advice from my late mother.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm not sure how long you want it warm for but most barbers that don't have proper towel warmers just bang a damp towel in a microwave for a little bit.

If you do that though make sure the towel isn't WET only a bit damp and make sure the inside of the towel doesn't get so hot you hurt yourself.

I've only ever worked in a barbers that has proper towel warmers so unfortunately I can't tell you how long you would need to microwave one for so it might take a bit of trail and error if you want to go down that route but not many people have a microwave in their bathroom .
    An rud is annamh, is iontach

Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I had the same problem. I tend to keep my towel on for two to three minutes. It is very calming. Here is my routine. I fill my sink with hot water. I put my brush and a hand towel in the water while I shower. After my shower, I lather up and put the hot towel on my face. I then take a regular full size towel and lay over top of this. When done, I used the full size towel for the rest of my ritual. Perhaps I'm crazy, but that is what woks for me.
    Blake - A legend among the voices in his head.