What's new

Got a Krona on the 'Bay...

So after seeing the tons o' threads in the BST recently with Kronas, and weighing it against a Feather Popular, I decided to go for it and snagged one (date code I-3 0-M) at a decent price on Ebay. Looks to be in very good condition. And since I've either given away or loaned out my 3 TTO's I figured I'd go for a Krona since they seem to get lots of love on the board.

Is there anything in particular I need to know about them? Do they have any quirks? And although the razor looks very clean and lightly-used from the pics, is there anything I should watch out for while cleaning it?

Yes. There is a quirk. Two actually. The first quirk is that they are the among the most underrated razors out there. And that leads to the second quirk which is that you should be prepared to be surprised.

My Krona is a mild shaver that provides an effortless three pass DFS shave every time. I generally use a slant, an FB at 7 or a GEM and so I seem to gravitate toward the more aggressive razors, but every time I use my Krona, I'm surprised anew at just how good it is.

Be aware that the handle is plastic, so don't boil it. But the head on mine at least seems to be stainless steel. If yours is stainless as well, you can polish it with an abrasive polish to make it shine, or use steel wool to give it a brushed steel look.

Thanks for reminding me. I've got an Eversharp with the gray handle and eagle on the end, which I understand is the same thing as the Krona when Eversharp bought Schick and tried to do away with the Schick name. Several years later they started calling them Krona I believe? I've yet to try it out for a shave but I'm thinking I will for my next one. I don't know how to date them but the numbers under the head are 4 in the top left corner, 2 in the top right corner, 6 in the bottom left corner and M in the bottom right corner - 426M.

Here's a link to the finished auction. Was $15 a fair price? And while the razor is pretty, the photo showing the back of the TTO head reveals something that looks slightly brown. Shouldn't be rust. Could it be a used blade?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230488714253&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

It just looks like a flash artifact. If it was rust, in the shot where the doors open, you would see it there.

But I will say it looks like there is a gap between the plastic handle and the metal collar. Like it was pulled out of the handle a little. But I could be wrong and I'm in bed, so I can't go look at the two in my collection right now. I'll let the experts decide if I'm just seeing things.

It just looks like a flash artifact. If it was rust, in the shot where the doors open, you would see it there.

But I will say it looks like there is a gap between the plastic handle and the metal collar. Like it was pulled out of the handle a little. But I could be wrong and I'm in bed, so I can't go look at the two in my collection right now. I'll let the experts decide if I'm just seeing things.

I agree 100%. It is just artifact from the flash. You have a great razor there. My son has one just like it. They work very well.

Hmm, didn't notice the handle and I can't really tell if it's pulled a little. I only gave the handle a once-over to see its general condition; I mostly focused on the head.

I'm sure it doesn't matter though. Looks like a great razor nonetheless.

Thanks for the info guys.

I bet you will be very happy. The Krona is a mild shaver, but a very good one that will get you to BBS very comfortably.

Oddly, I got sucked into Kronamania a short while after I started wet shaving. I tried three different ones but couldn't, for the life of me, get a close shave out of them. I put them away for several months and then pulled one out on a whim. Bang! I don't know what I did differently, but all the sudden all the hype was real. I was getting BBS shaves with very little or no irritation. The Krona is now the razor I go to when my face needs to heal, but I still need to shave.

Good luck with yours.

K.T.

I bet it's because your technique improved. i experienced that too as I used a Slant for 5 solid months and then returned to a straight-bar DE. I had gone to the Slant because I wasn't getting the shaves I wanted from the former, but when I came back to it, it was suddenly so simple to get BBS.

Yes. There is a quirk. Two actually. The first quirk is that they are the among the most underrated razors out there. And that leads to the second quirk which is that you should be prepared to be surprised.

+1. Well said Haiku. The Krona seems to be that old reliable, fun-to-drive vehicle. When you're done with the drive, you're surprised that it was so fun.

Here's all you need to know.

1) It is mild. At least as mild as a Gillette Tech.

2) It is very easy to shave with. Glides around your face like a sports car.

Really nice TTO razor. Vastly underrated.

I used my Eversharp gray handle version today. Didn't like it at all. Left me with several bumps and a burning sensation all over my face, something I never get with my Gillette black adjustable. Good bit of sandpaper feel on my face after 3 passes using Proraso. Hope your shave with the Krona is better than mine.

I used my Eversharp gray handle version today. Didn't like it at all. Left me with several bumps and a burning sensation all over my face, something I never get with my Gillette black adjustable. Good bit of sandpaper feel on my face after 3 passes using Proraso. Hope your shave with the Krona is better than mine.
I hope so too. I'm one who doesn't like Gillettes, personally. And I don't mind if a razor is mild, as long as it's effective.

Hmm, didn't notice the handle and I can't really tell if it's pulled a little. I only gave the handle a once-over to see its general condition; I mostly focused on the head.
As long as the head does not rotate you will be ok.

Judging by the pictures your Krona was used very little, and kept clean. Enjoy your score!

Ditto on this.

Also, in my research, there seems to be a number of different head styles. Some head doors are plain, some doors have Schick stamped in, and some doors have Schick on one door and Krona on the other. I have one with the plain doors and one with the Schick/Krona. The one with Schick/Krona has burnished metal while the plain one has polished metal. Both have the same handle. Both give great, mild shaves.

As far as price goes, I have seen them from $4.95 to $24.95. I would think you could pick up a nice one in the $10.00 range, give or take a few dollars. Grab one if your can, I believe you will not be disappointed!!!

Anyone else have experience with the different style heads?

Thanks.....

It's my understanding that the one's with "KRONA" stamped on the head are the later models, the earlier models didn't have anything on the head.

I bought my Krona for $7, which is about average razor price for me.

I love the Krona, and it is my favorite DE, and maybe the only one that I will keep.

Top Bottom