What's new

Gem users, help please

Picked this up on Ebay for $5.00. Does anyone know the approximate year of this Gem set? And also, which blades were original to the set? Damaskeene? Micromatic? I imagine the blades will be determined by the year(s) this set was made but that's why I'm asking more experienced folks. Thanks for any insight or direction.

proxy.php

That is a nice looking GEM Travel razor. That is the first GEM 1912 razor that I bought to try. It was well worn and I only paid $3 for it, I used some GEM store blades and I got some great shaves after I learned go slow and no pressure. Just let the blade cut.

I liked it so much that I then purchased several GEM 1912 Junior, standard razors. I now own seven 1912 razors. five 1912 GEM Juniors, one Ever-Ready 1912 and a excellant condition, white Bakelite, cased, 1912 Travel razor. I am using the Ted Pella, 121-3, coated SS blades now. The old GEM Travel was passed on to Treviz in Spain. I sent the five remaining GEM blades to Treviz along with five 121-3's so he could shave with it.

The Travel razor shaves similar to my 1912 Ever-Ready. The Travel and the Ever-Ready seem to shave smoother then my other 1912 GEM Juniors. I paid $15 for my Travel. You got yours at a great price. Your Travel looks to be in good condition. Clean it up and shave with it. My razor does have the indentation on the blade change/flip lever. My Ever -Ready 1912 also has the indentation. I'm not sure if that means they were earlier models or not.

Last edited:
That is the first GEM 1912 razor that I bought to try.

So this set was made in, and is from, 1912?

Clean it up and shave with it.

No way, I'm not trying the single edge shave again. I did that with a Gem Micromatic about 2 weeks ago and looked like I had my face shoved into a pile of broken glass. I'm sticking with DE. I just wanted this for the collection so I'd like to complete it with the correct time period blades. :001_smile

Last edited:
Seriously, the 1912 GEM Juniors, Ever-Ready and Travel are more forgiving/less aggressive then the other GEM SE razors. I had purchased a bunch of SE's, Micromatic Clog-Pruf, a Featherweight, An Ever-Ready 1924, A Contour, and a Push button black handle. I tried shaving with all of them. They were just too aggressive for my face. Then I bought the 1912 Travel and a whole new world of SE's opened up. Completely different razors. The rules still apply, take your time, no pressure, listen for the cutting sound, then you will know you have the right angle. Nothing cuts whiskers like a 1912, except maybe a straight razor. I sold all six of them (including my first Travel) to Treviz in Spain.

I just shaved this morning with my Ever-Ready 1912 and a vintage old spice mug and soap. I got a DFS. No nicks, cuts or sore face.

Last edited:
So this set was made in, and is from,1912?
No, 1912 was the year that particular head design was patented. I'm certainly no Gem expert, but if was to guess, I'd say that set is from no later than the early 1930s. I don't know what blades would complete the set, but I'm pretty sure Damaskeene blades are from too early a time period.

-Clarke

Last edited:
this set is from 1924, the point of the "m" letter is raised to midway between the top and bottom edge of the letter, the gem safety raazor corp(asr subsidairy) file a tm claim on mar 1924, so its a 1924 type gem/razor...i got the info from my waits compendium razor encyclopedia.

Sounds right to me; I was going to say that the razor was from the '20s, based on print adverts of the day. There were a lot of different models based on the 1912 patent/pattern. Various different models based on that patent were produced into the late '40s and they're a very good shaving razor.

-- John Gehman

From what I can tell by looking at old print advertisements, the correct blades for the period of this razor would be the Gem Double Life blades. I found an advert from 1922 pitching the Damaskeene blades and an advert from 1927 showing the Double Life blades. It seems not long after came their Micromatic and Micromatic Reversible blades.

Also found this Time Magazine article from June 4, 1928 where American Safety Razor, aka Gem, was suing another company for patent infringement. In this article it mentions the Double Life blades.

Last edited:
I typed in the wrong product number for the Ted Pella blades.. It should read 121-3. These are the Stainless Steel, coated blades best for SE shaving.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
No way, I'm not trying the single edge shave again. I did that with a Gem Micromatic about 2 weeks ago and looked like I had my face shoved into a pile of broken glass.

As has been said, the Micromatic can be an aggressive razor. I can use one just fine, as long as I pay attention to the angle and no pressure rule (almost negative pressure since the razor is kinda heavy :001_smile). But, I was using str8s before I tried the MM and I also stretch the skin with a SE like I do with a str8. And don't get sloppy with your strokes on a MM. The MMOC is the most aggressive SE that I've tried so far.

The 1912 is a much easier shaver...I love mine. Much milder than a MMOC. You really should try the Travel razor...maybe just on one side of your face for a bit.

BTW...for $5 you made out like a bandit on that kit.:thumbup:

Last edited:
I saw pretty much this same set the other day, only with a red interior. Had that odd serrated-edge handled '12 and Radio blades, one in the wrapper and one that looked dead mint inside the head. Decent price for the condition but didn't need it, so left it lay.

Top Bottom