What's new

Cornbread recipe

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I did a research and didn't find exactly what I wanted. I often read about cornbread, I google a recipe, it's different from one website to another...

What is cornbread? How do I make it?

Luc

Staff member
Thanks for that, I'll give it a try...

How to eat that? Is it during the main meal, dessert, other?

Usually cornbread is eaten with the main meal. And leftovers are eaten the next morning, served in a bowl with milk, like a breakfast cereal.

Cornbread goes great with chili, soup or stew.

As far as leftover with milk goes, I think that might be a distinctly southern usa phenomenon, that honestly kinda grosses me out, but I may have to try it before I knock it.

Cornbread goes great with chili, soup or stew.

As far as leftover with milk goes, I think that might be a distinctly southern usa phenomenon, that honestly kinda grosses me out, but I may have to try it before I knock it.

I'm originally from Oregon. :lol::lol:

If your cornbread isn't sweet add a tbsp or two of sugar or honey to the milk and cornbread.

My wife, from California, thinks its weird and my kids are firmly in agreement with my wife.

Luc

Staff member
Thanks Gents, I'll have a go this week-end, I often see it but never tried it!

Mmm. Yes they are!

I sometimes brush honey over the top of the sheet of cornbread right when it comes out of the oven. It soaks in and makes it very tasty...if the meal dictates a sweeter bread.

+1

Warm cornbread and honey are killer! If it's leftover, you can microwave it and follow previous combination :)

Hi Luc. Welcome to some fine eating. A few things to remember. When mixing the batter DO NOT OVER MIX IT! I cannot stress this enough. You will wind up with flatter, gummier cornbread. Just mix/sift/sieve or whatever all the dry ingedients together, then mix all the wet ingredients together including any sugar you use, then fold the two together till just moistened. Slow, easy, and if there are a few dry looking lumps fine. Just don't overdo it. Cornbread lovers come in two flavours; Sweet cornbread lovers and those who ask if you are one of them fools what puts sugar in your cornbread. I liked it sweetened but not as much as a cake. Some recipes call for mostly cornmeal and others like me use about half flour and half cornmeal. Buy the best cornmeal you can get. Around the States this is probably Hodgon's Mills or Bob's Red Mill. I haven't any idea if you can get them down under. Best of luck but I warn you, it is addictive stuff. One last thing. It does not keep too well so eat it the day you make it.

Regards, Todd

Luc

Staff member
Hi Luc. Welcome to some fine eating. A few things to remember. When mixing the batter DO NOT OVER MIX IT! I cannot stress this enough. You will wind up with flatter, gummier cornbread. Just mix/sift/sieve or whatever all the dry ingedients together, then mix all the wet ingredients together including any sugar you use, then fold the two together till just moistened. Slow, easy, and if there are a few dry looking lumps fine. Just don't overdo it. Cornbread lovers come in two flavours; Sweet cornbread lovers and those who ask if you are one of them fools what puts sugar in your cornbread. I liked it sweetened but not as much as a cake. Some recipes call for mostly cornmeal and others like me use about half flour and half cornmeal. Buy the best cornmeal you can get. Around the States this is probably Hodgon's Mills or Bob's Red Mill. I haven't any idea if you can get them down under. Best of luck but I warn you, it is addictive stuff. One last thing. It does not keep too well so eat it the day you make it.

Regards, Todd

Thanks for that. Not to worry. I make bread and dough on regular basis every week. I should be all right to make cornbread... I haven't heard of Hodgon's Mills or Bob's Red Mill but we do have cornmeal available here and there...

I will post the results!

Luke, where I come from cornbread is a staple. My mother baked cornbread everyday when I was a kid and if any was left after supper, she would put the bread on a plate on top the stove. The rest of the day, if anyone got hungry we would just grab a piece of cold cornbread and go. My father liked to crumble cold cornbread in a glass of buttermilk and eat it with a spoon. I like it that way as well.

But I have to tell you weather you use Hodgson Mill or some other brand I would suggest using a "self rising cornbread mix". In the southern part of the US the number one brand is "Martha White" here is a simplified recipe that always turns out well. http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=337705

I hope your bread turns out well!:thumbup1:

1C coarse cornmeal
2C buttermilk
8oz Bacon
1.75C AP flour
1.5T baking powder
.25t baking soda
1t salt
.25C sugar
.25C packed brown sugar
3 eggs (large)
2T honey
2T unsalted butter, melted
2.5C fresh or frozen corn kernels
2T bacon fat

Day 1
1. Bowl 1 - Soak cornmeal in buttermilk overnight at room temp.
Day 2
2. Cook the bacon, save the fat.
3. Oven to 350F. Bowl 2 - Sift dry ingredients, stir in sugars. Bowl 3 - Lightly beat eggs. Mix the honey into warm butter and stir into eggs. Add Bowl 3 to Bowl 1 cornmeal mix. Add Bowl 1 (wet) to Bowl 2 (dry). Stir with a spoon or mix with a whisk until pancake batter like, blended and smooth. Do not overmix. Stir in corn.
4. Put 2T bacon fat into a 10" round cake or 9x13 baking dish. Put in the oven for ~5 minutes or more until fat is hot. Remove the pan, tilt to spread the fat. Pour in the batter in the middle and spread it to the edges. Put the crumbled bacon on top and press into the batter.
5. Bake for 30m or until firm and springy (time dependent on the pan) - a toothpick in the middle will come out clean and the cornbread will be GBD (golden brown and delicious). Internal temp for those with thermometers should be 185F.
6. Cool in pan for 15m. Slice and serve.

We were pretty broke growing up. My right leg is made of cornbread and my left leg is made of pinto beans =P

Still one of my favorite things to this day. My last grandparent passed away a few weeks ago, her old dutch oven "bean pot" fed many child (5), grandchild (10), great grandchild (18), not to mention assorted inlaws, cousins, neices and nephews. I was the oldest of the 10 grand kids and wrote and delivered here eulogy in which I waxed nostalgic about those beans and cornbread. Miss you Nanny!

Luc

Staff member
Thanks for the input Gents!

I'll share the secret. I'm making Mole Verde this week-end and was thinking of having corn chips/tortillas with it, now it will cornbread!

To be continued...

We were pretty broke growing up. My right leg is made of cornbread and my left leg is made of pinto beans =P

Still one of my favorite things to this day. My last grandparent passed away a few weeks ago, her old dutch oven "bean pot" fed many child (5), grandchild (10), great grandchild (18), not to mention assorted inlaws, cousins, neices and nephews. I was the oldest of the 10 grand kids and wrote and delivered here eulogy in which I waxed nostalgic about those beans and cornbread. Miss you Nanny!

Great story. It's a funny thing how people and families can connect while sharing meals.

My family has charro beans and cornbread. Excellent with a cold beer.

I cheat on cornbread. I use two boxes of Martha White's Yellow Cornbread mix. Follow the directions plus add half a can of cream corn. Bake for an additional 10 minutes. I bake it up in a cast iron skillet greased with bacon grease, and I add a sprinkling of fresh cracked pepper to the top after pouring in the skillet. Yep, cheating, but it is good!

Randy

Top Bottom