What's new

Cornbread recipe

Here are a couple of links to some USA national brands. I don't know if they are available down under but I suspect carriage would be a deal killer for sure. Products this heavy are expensive to ship domestically, let alone overseas. I also don't know about import laws for grain/agricultural products. Anyway, these are good and I know there are regional mills as well. BTW, I find the cornbread made from Hodgon Mill to be superior to any mix I have tried.

Regards, Todd

Hodgon Mill

Bob's Red Mill

proxy.php

In the South, we buy jiffy add a egg, mix pour in a greased skillett and bake at 350 till golden brown.

I grew up in Louisiana and Texas . . . and use a mix. :001_rolle

Customize it quite a bit, though. My mom used to make it this way and it's fantastic: brown up some sliced/chopped sausage (kielbasa or andouille) until it gets a little crispy around the edges, saute some diced onion until it's translucent. Add that, sliced jalapeno peppers, and diced cheddar cheese to the mix and pour it into your greased pan. Mmmm hmmmm. :thumbup1:

Great with beans (my beans, now, THOSE are from scratch!) and great with chili.

NANP™

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Cornbread in the oven!

Luc

Staff member
Success!!

Thanks for the input gents!!:thumbup:

I usually bake a cornbread once a week for breakfast and serve it with eggs (soft poached or scrambled). The recipe on the box of Albers cornmeal is just fine for me, although I do make variations from time to time. One other thing I do is cook the cornbread in a heavy cast iron skillet that I've had for over forty years specifically for this purpose. I give the skillet a light coating of oil / grease / spray and set it in the oven before I light the oven. Preheating the skillet along with the oven provides a searingly hot surface to create a nice bottom crust on the cornbread.
1 C cornmeal
1 C all-purpose flour
1/4 C granulated sugar (I use a little less)
1 Tbsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 C milk
1/3 C oil (I use olive oil)
1 Lg egg (slightly beaten)

Pour mixture into pre-heated skillet and cook at 400 deg. for 20-25 minutes until the top is turning golden brown.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
My wife and I have done this one with cheese bacon and jalapinos from Rob Rainsford. Mostly we have done it in the oven rather than the BBQ.

MARDI GRAS CORNBREAD

2 ½ cups of cornmeal (600ml)
1 cup all purpose flour (250ml)
2 tablespoons of baking powder (30ml)
½ cup of brown sugar (125ml)
1 teaspoon of salt (5ml)
2 cups of buttermilk (475ml)
2 eggs
1/3 cup butter, melted (75ml)
1 cup of milk cheddar cheese, grated (250ml)
1 cup corn (fresh or thawed frozen) (250ml)
½ pound crispy fried bacon, crumbled
3 jalapeno peppers, seeds removed and diced

Heat the cast iron skillet over high heat. Let the internal temperature of the grill reach 425ºF. Turn the direct heat under the skillet off and leave the other burners on high.

Mix all the dry ingredients together with a fork. Add the remaining ingredients and mix well. Using corn oil, coat the cast iron skillet well. Pour the batter into the skillet and grill at 425ºF for approximately 20 minutes until golden brown.

Serve warm cut into wedges.

This is the first time I have ever seen it baked in a loaf. Traditionally it is baked in a cast iron skillet and cut into wedges. I have seen it baked in a cake pan too and then cut into squares. Almost forgot muffins.

How did the cornbread hold up in loaf form? How thick did you slice it, about 2 cm?

I think next time I make it I will try this. It seems like a novel approach to me.

Nice job!:thumbup:

Last edited:

Luc

Staff member
This is the first time I have ever seen it baked in a loaf. Traditionally it is baked in a cast iron skillet and cut into wedges. I have seen it baked in a cake pan too and then cut into squares. Almost forgot muffins.

How did the cornbread hold up in loaf form? How thick did you slice it, about 2 cm?

I think next time I make it I will try this. It seems like a novel approach to me.

Nice job!:thumbup:

It's holding perfectly. No problems about it. I did wedges and 2cm slices yes. It was legendary with the Mole Verde!

As mentioned, not the way we generally make it, but it looks REALLY GOOD. Nice, fluffy looking insides, nicely browned on top.

You have to tell us how it tasted!

The texture is really interesting. Loved the taste, just like corn, of course. It's quite good actually and I will make it again!:thumbup:

Well done Luc! It looks great and the texture as well. I too have never seen it made in loaf form. Always in a sandwich tin. But I really like how yours turned out. My first few batches were horrid. I over stirred the mix, etc. Now I can do it well but must say congrats on a corn bread newbie knocking it out of the park on his first try.

Regards, Todd

Luc

Staff member
I will try to make a flatter one next week. I think I got the perfect skillet for it...

It might explain why I ended up cooking it longer as 25 mins wasn't enough...

For a first attempt at cornbread you really did a great job. :thumbup1: I over stirred my cornbread my first couple of tries and ended up with a gummy gross mess.

Luke, where I come from cornbread is a staple. My mother baked cornbread everyday when I was a kid and if any was left after supper, she would put the bread on a plate on top the stove. The rest of the day, if anyone got hungry we would just grab a piece of cold cornbread and go. My father liked to crumble cold cornbread in a glass of buttermilk and eat it with a spoon. I like it that way as well.

But I have to tell you weather you use Hodgson Mill or some other brand I would suggest using a "self rising cornbread mix". In the southern part of the US the number one brand is "Martha White" here is a simplified recipe that always turns out well. http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=337705

I hope your bread turns out well!:thumbup1:

I see authentic southern cornbread love here! You don't just pour milk on yesterday's cornbread, you mix it with buttermilk. Real buttermilk, prefer non-homogenized. I have never tasted this, but my father, who is about 84, grew up on this and pinto beans.

Congratulations, Luc. Cornbread is a journey. You will enjoy it, I think.

I read Earl Shaffer's book "Walking With Spring", and decided to learn to make johnnycake. That took some time, and lots of practice.

Luc

Staff member
Thanks everyone. So what did I do? I took Alton Brown's recipe and did the following

• 2 cups yellow cornmeal - I used Polenta
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt - I have sea salt...
  • 1 tablespoon sugar - I used raw Sugar
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder - I added 1 tablespoon
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda - I didn't use any
  • 1 cup buttermilk - 1 cup maybe a bit more.
  • 2 eggs - Free range Large eggs, I used 2
  • 1 cup creamed corn - 300gr was the closest tin that I found, all in
  • 2 tablespoons canola oil - I didn't have any so I used Grapeseed oil

Like a cake, I mix all the wet ingredients in one bowl and mix all the dry ingredients in another bowl. Combined both bowls, I didn't mix much at that stage as I didn't want to kill it. All in the cake/bread pan. ~200C/400F for 30-35 mins.

I'm doing it again next saturday but will use a skillet as mentioned! :thumbup1:

proxy.php

In the South, we buy jiffy add a egg, mix pour in a greased skillett and bake at 350 till golden brown.

Best corn bread money can buy. Well, 75 cents anyways. Contains lard. I will add chopped hot peppers into it. Never gets stale cause it's gone before it gets cold.

-jim

I'm originally from Oregon. :lol::lol:

If your cornbread isn't sweet add a tbsp or two of sugar or honey to the milk and cornbread.

My wife, from California, thinks its weird and my kids are firmly in agreement with my wife.

For some reason, I only take cornbread sweet, but grits I will never put sugar in.

-jim

Top Bottom