What's new

Taking the day off

Three days ago I had about the best shave yet with a fresh Gillette 7 O'Clock in my 1948-50 Super Speed, Proraso pre & post, Simpson Wee Scot, and Mama Bear Diogenes Club. Least blood, closest shave. I got the good result by following, more or less, the 4-pass method outlined in the sticky attached to this thread. But the last two days have seen an incremental falling off: shaves not quite as good, more blood, and my face is just plain sore. So I'm skipping my nightly shave--yes, I'm a night shaver, if it's a wet shave, anyway--and plan to run an electric, or an M3, or both, over my mug in the morning. I'll recommence my efforts tomorrow night or the next, depending on how tender my chin remains. Maybe I need to go on a 2-day rotation; I dunno. I'm having a lot of fun with it, even so.
I haven't had the nerve or facial fortitude to tackle Uncle Harold's New Criterion DeLuxe that I dug up out of storage, but I plan to do so in the next few days.
Here's a question for you old and not-so-old hands: How long does it take you to execute a 4-pass shave? (I have lots of shaving questions, but let's stick to nice simple one for now!)

A 4 pass shave, including prep and clean up, can run me about 20 minutes. There is nothing wrong with taking a day off. I can't tell from your post how long you have been at it, but my primary suggestion would be to take your time and really focus on your angles with short strokes. Once you get it down, it becomes second nature and goes much faster. Also, stick with the Super Speed for now. If you're having irritation problems with a mild shaver like that, I would not recommend tackling an open comb until you really have technique down. Once you do, you will LOVE the Criterion. The NEW DeLuxe shaves like a dream.

I have not done a 4-pass shave in some time. I usually do a two-pass most mornings. On the week-ends, I get in some 3 pass shaves.

I normally do 4-pass shaves in 20-25mins and I have not been at it too long. but I use a long handle razor, those tend to be quicker for me.

Here's a question for you old and not-so-old hands: How long does it take you to execute a 4-pass shave?

I tried 4 passes for a couple weeks, and it takes about 20-25 minutes for me. In the end, I quit doing them. 2 passes (N-S, S-N, E-W/W-E touchup under the nose) keeps me looking sharp and pretty smooth everywhere.
-- Chet

If you're shaving every day, a 4-pass is overkill IMO. That alone might be resulting in some skin irritation.

If i had to guess though, a 4-pass shave would take me 25 minutes or a little more. I've never done one. WTG/XTG/ATG is enough to get me DFS+ even if I've skipped two days in a row. In my normal daily routine I get good results with 2 passes, WTG/ATG.

Edit: And I should add that taking a day off if you're feeling sore or irritated is always a good idea!

Last edited:
Even though it feels great to be perfectly smooth I would agree in that four passes everyday will wear your skin down. I did that in the beginning and ended up getting irritation quite often. These days I'm normally happey with 2 or 3 passes and never ATG. My skin is so much better and I although not BBS I still have a smooth face.

4 passes is probably good for when you've let your facial hair grow out for maybe 5-6 days.
I shave every 2-3 days and do two (1 WTG, 1 XTG) passes.

Best,

-ice

Three days ago I had about the best shave yet with a fresh Gillette 7 O'Clock in my 1948-50 Super Speed, Proraso pre & post, Simpson Wee Scot, and Mama Bear Diogenes Club. Least blood, closest shave. I got the good result by following, more or less, the 4-pass method outlined in the sticky attached to this thread. But the last two days have seen an incremental falling off: shaves not quite as good, more blood, and my face is just plain sore. So I'm skipping my nightly shave--yes, I'm a night shaver, if it's a wet shave, anyway--and plan to run an electric, or an M3, or both, over my mug in the morning. I'll recommence my efforts tomorrow night or the next, depending on how tender my chin remains. Maybe I need to go on a 2-day rotation; I dunno. I'm having a lot of fun with it, even so.
I haven't had the nerve or facial fortitude to tackle Uncle Harold's New Criterion DeLuxe that I dug up out of storage, but I plan to do so in the next few days.
Here's a question for you old and not-so-old hands: How long does it take you to execute a 4-pass shave? (I have lots of shaving questions, but let's stick to nice simple one for now!)

You've described my exact situation. Usually if I wait and do it every third day I get really close and wonderful shaves. I figure my face needs time to heal properly, or something... I really don't like playing the waiting game as I would have more fun and a better experience if I could shave every day. I'm still not convinced that I have the technique down so I'm looking into Mantics videos again for study. Hope things start to come around for you :001_smile

Cheers!

Top Bottom