What's new

Shaving supplies in LA

Is there a shop in Los Angeles that compares to Pasteurs of NYC or Colonial Drug of Boston? How about in San Francisco? Not Nancy Boy -- a full line shop with a good supply of soaps, creams, blades. Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks for the tip. I drove out to Glendale to check out this shop -- the nest LA has to offer. Not bad but sure doesn't compare to Padteurs, Cambridge Chemist, Colonial Drugs. But I was glad to support them with a couple items. Interesting to see the full line of Merkur razors!

I'm not from LA, but I visited there last summer and discovered a really neat shop for blades (DE and straight) and razors called Ross Cutlery. Their website is kind of awful, but the store is pretty nice. They have the largest selection of restored vintage products along with contemporary products I've ever seen in a B&M store.

They also sell knives and that sort of thing, but I am not really interested in that.

I think West Coast Shaving now has a retail joint! Ross Cutlery is also fantastic. Allan (the owner) has been in the cutting business for a long time. If you visit Ross Cutlery, make sure you walk a few doors over and go inside the Bradbury Building (from Blade Runner). It's stunning!

Agreed! The best thing about Ross Cutlery is that you can go inside the Bradbury Building. The Bradbury is my favorite architectural gem anywhere and I'm a fool for old houses and buildings. Also, be sure to have lunch at Grand Central Market across the street and take a ride up Bunker Hill on the newly reopened Angel's Flight which is another favorite.

If you can get up to Glendale, Oh! U Beauty has a respectable selection and I thought the employees were wonderful. Maybe not as wide a selection as found in other cities, but there's still quite a bit and you'll find something new there.

Top Bottom