What's new

Looking for hair product suggestions

I've recently started using hair products for my hair but so far do not like what I've tried. I have tried pomade, didn't like the shine. Gel, also didn't like the shine. What is a good hair product that doesn't make hair look like it has a gel or pomade in it? I want something that makes it look like my hair is dry, but still hold its shape. The wet look just isn't for me.

American Crew Citrus Mint Paste is the best I've found, if you can find it any more. Seems like it may have been dropped from the line, or stores just stopped carrying the paste specifically. My wife finds it for me 3-4 tubs at a time via internet.

As with any hair product, if you put it on too thick it will crust up and look crunchy. Regardless of what you use, experiment with amount, wet hair, dry hair, and sometimes you can re-style after it dries to get it to break up any stiffness.

Thanks, I will try to find that around here locally.

I was also wondering how American Crews forming cream works and whether it gives the look I'm after.

For me the Forming Creme was a little more towards the "crust" end of the spectrum. It leaves a bit more of a greasy/sticky residue and I found that in my dark hair by the end of the day it was drying out and making it look as though I sanded drywall mud for a living.

For me the Forming Creme was a little more towards the "crust" end of the spectrum. It leaves a bit more of a greasy/sticky residue and I found that in my dark hair by the end of the day it was drying out and making it look as though I sanded drywall mud for a living.

Well I have very dark hair, definitely don't want it to look like I've been sanding drywall all day.

Looks like the mint paste is out of stock at amazon.

Any experience with the Defining Paste? Or the Fiber? Seems Fiber may be better since I have a short hairstyle.

Last edited:
Nancy Boy stuff works pretty well. Once it dries, if you put your hands through your hair a couple of times you can't tell it's there.

Same is true, in my experience, with the American Crew forming cream. If you put it on damp hair and never touch the hair again, it looks like there is stuff in there, but if you run your fingers through your hair a bit after it dries, the hair looks natural.

Here is what you need.Paul Mitchell Tea Tree Hair and body moisturiser,I use it everyday and love it and it is great for your face too.I am almost thru my second 33 ounce bottle and I will buy another one soon.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Gatsby by Mandom.

Comes in several levels of holding power, and none of them look wet or shiny.

I've recently started using hair products for my hair but so far do not like what I've tried. I have tried pomade, didn't like the shine. Gel, also didn't like the shine. What is a good hair product that doesn't make hair look like it has a gel or pomade in it? I want something that makes it look like my hair is dry, but still hold its shape. The wet look just isn't for me.

You're looking for a hair product that has a "matte" finish. Most large haircare lines will have at least one product that has a matte finish, it just depends on what level of hold you're looking for.

Here's just an example, Redken's rough clay:

http://www.redken.com/products/styling/texture/rough-clay-20

S

Sam

I like the Aveda Light Elements Shaping Wax and may try the Men's line Pure Performance Grooming Clay (would love to score a sample of that to try).

I've had great results with American Crew Fiber. Holds good without being greasy and shiny. I try other products here and there, but always end up going back to fiber.

Any good alternatives to citrus mint paste? Can't find it in my area any more.

Preferably american crew.

Just bought a small tub of forming cream to try out, but i'm wondering if that stuff just makes hair 'neat' - I prefer mine a bit messy.

Wouldn't mind styling mine a bit like Robert Downey Jr in Sherlock Holmes.

Ideas?

Top Bottom