What's new

I really needed a Kanayama Pelican.......Honest

What I want - but don't need - is a Hand American Old Dog...

You know, i've tried to get a hold of one of those f'in strop for like 3-4 years and EVERY time there is a glimmer of hope, it never works out. That guy has got to have the worst service know to man :lol:

You know, i've tried to get a hold of one of those f'in strop for like 3-4 years and EVERY time there is a glimmer of hope, it never works out. That guy has got to have the worst service know to man :lol:

You simply have to know the correct access code.

I was able to purchase my Old Dog after waving a rubber chicken over the keyboard under the light of a full moon.

However, that was a while back, and the code may have changed by now....

In that case, maybe I should order the one I've been eyeing. Before too much longer, I'll have a strop for each day of the week.*

*And then some :blush:

it's true, Keith can be a bit spacey - but the strops are worth it. Note: don't buy from Classic shaving, as they charge 2.5X-3X what he charges direct. Also, he makes something called a "Signature Strop" with smooth cordovan on one side and smoooth English Bridle on the other - basically two strops in one and an amazING DEAL. If you just email him at [email protected] (there is another email address out there but it is either defunct or at least unreliable) you should be able to get a strop within a few weeks. Obviously I can't guarantee anything, but the two times I ordered from him, though there were some screw-ups, things worked out before too long. And by jove was it worth the wait - probably the most underappreciated product in the straight shaving world right now, certainly when it comes to American producers. (Must have something to do with the fact that he does basically zero marketing or promotion.) And, at the very least, I can guarantee this: his strops are totally unique. They are not good or superior versions of other strops, they are totally original - the combination of the *stiff* structure (like a big thick peice of cardboard, almost), unlike any other strop,including bench strops, and the leathers he uses, which have a feel and draw unlike any others.

Anyways, my point is, sale and customer service aside, the point is to get your hands on a good strop, and you can certainly do that from Keith.

Cheers

I dont want to spam but i bought today a second PELICAN 5700 strop - Ishiri made in Japan , Shell and ect. it has many / 4 / stamps the metalic part is the same as the new Canoyama strops . It has 2 Pelicans on it and it is 6.5 sm widht .
Is this an old series Canoyama strop and shell is a horse hide, but the question is is that a cordovan ?????

?????????? ???? ?? ????????, ??????? - ?????? ?????? - ???????.??

I think that it whorth 35 $ - looks in good condition - it will be my first shell strop .
I clean my new Pelican strop , rubb it generously with 1to 1 mix of hot water and talow chaving soap / Arko / . I clean and bleach the coton linen strop and is snow white now . It works Fabulous.
The only problem is that i try the face side of the pelican and is slick as ice . It has some kind of coating on it - shiny , red coat . It has practicaly no draw , at all .
What have i done - i strop and i strop and i strop over 120 times and i have the feeling that nothing hapened . I dont like this at all .
I turned the strop and i strop on the back side , and it was fine feeling - medium draw. Everything was ok . But the face is slick and useless as i never feel such strop . Is this strop makes something at all ????
I have 2 other vintage horse strops that i made a padles ,and they are all the same thing . Only after sanding it down and rubbing leather conditioner ,they get some draw ,and began to work .
If i have to sand it or broke in it , why it is writen broke in . It is slick ,and the leather surface sounds noisy and harder than my favourite bovine strops - Latigo and natural cowhide . What should i do - the feeling is like im stropping on plastic bag . It has some laqueure shiny coating on the top side .
Doesnt like this thing at all .This Pelican Nishiri strop , was almost new - pliable and good .

Last edited:
Top Bottom