What's new

Any Czechs here?

Dobry den, panove... that is, good day, gentlemen! Just wondering if there are any Czechs active in these fine forums (I'm a Canuck expat living in Prague). If so, I got a few questions:

Where do you buy your shaving gear (besides ebay)? Nearly all the blades, soaps, creams, etc. that I like using (or would like to use) don't turn up anywhere when using zbozi.cz to search (notable exception: one place has Red IP's, but there's a UK vendor who sells them for less; Astra SPs are also dirt-cheap here, but as I've mentioned on a couple of occasions, they don't agree with my face). And I very rarely see vintage razors on Aukro.cz - are there any good antique shops or flea markets (especially in and around Prague) you can recommend?

Another thing I haven't come across in my 14 years in the Czech Republic is a barbershop, or any joint that offers straight razor shaves... rather shavette shaves, since health regulations prohibit proper straight shaves. I've heard that these places exist, but I have no idea where they are - if there are any Praguers here, do you happen to know of any?

Diky moc!

Dzień dobry państwo.

I'm a Canadian living in Warsaw.

I know I'm not in Czech Republic, but I have a feeling you would do well ordering from Poland. I've bought a couple items from www.razors.pl - a retailer in Kraków. He is a careful and super fast shipper. I always choose the cheapest shipping option and it seems to take only 2-3 days maximum. This retailer is also all over ebay from what I remember - and allegro.pl. I would give him a shot with confidence.

I have also had success ordering from a retailer in the UK. I have a few other ideas for you if you want to PM me.

Best,

K

I spent six months in Prague, and lived in Karlovo Namesti, on Dittrichova Street. There's a drugstore in the mall on the green there that carries some basic shaving supplies, and of course the godawful Tesco, but beyond that, you're out of luck, sir.

I can say that if you want a good haircut, that one's easy - go to Italy!

Cheers for the replies, guys.:thumbup:

Thanks for the link kolinpl, I checked it out. He carries some nice stuff, but not really what I'm looking for. I might check in again when I've graduated to straight-razor shaving.

Hey Featherweight, that's a nice part of town to live in - very active and... erm... colorful :biggrin1: I do my own hair with clippers, but would really like to get a good barbershop shave here in Prague.

Again, if there are any Praguers, either Czech or expat, in this forum, it'd be great to hear from you.

Hi there. I'm not Czech, but I've heard wonderful things about Prague. Will visit it someday.

I could give a couple of reliable European vendors.
There is the UK vendor, and an Irisch one : www.shaving.ie
Bought from both and have excelent service.
There also is theenglishshavingcompany.com, but never bought from them. BTW theenglishshavingcompany have free shipping in this period. Hope this helped :)

Hi Patrick!

Well, I'm not Czech, I come from Slovakia, but I live in Prague. Things... are hard for wet-shavers there. I don't know about the shop near Karlovo namesti, but I know about to cutlery shops, they carry some new Puma razors and brushes, soaps, creams made by Muhle but they are overpriced.

Other than this you can buy Institut Karite soap in Profimed shop on Jecna street, I haven't tried it. Then we have L'Occitane shops with their great Cade soap. I can't recommend it more, it's great. I think I don't have to write about Barbus, Nivea, etc.

I don't know about any barbershop in Prague, sadly. I've heard about Brno, but nothing great. There is a Czech site www.britva.cz with forum about straight razors but I would recommend to skip this site. Nothing important and these guys love Barbus and Pitralon...

So the only place where you can get a good straight shave is in my bathroom :lol:.

See you later :001_smile.

Peter

Don't know if it counts but I started DE shaving with a Czech Astra DE bought in Česky Krumlov in 1990. In total I spend about a year in the Czech and Slovak Republics on holidays and we gave my eldest son a Czech/Slovak name...

I spent a good part of this summer in Czech Rep. Starting in Prague I bicycled the Czech Greenways south through Bohemia to the Austrian border. What a great time and delicious pivo at the end of every ride! :thumbup:
-Friz

My kind of thread! Even though I live nowhere near Czech Republic had to rep on this thread. Someday I will visit the homeland and i'm actually interested in learning Czech right now so the Air Force will pay me more money!!:thumbup:

Hey Medic, CZ75?

is that basically the same as the tactical? do you know the difference? I've been itchin to get one of those for awhile now. maybe i'll get it for myself as a christmas present.

Top Bottom