What's new

Giving it a shot

Hello everyone. I'm 22 years old and inexperienced when it comes to traditional shaving methods, and I hope to learn a lot on this board.

I've never really learnt how to shave and used to shave with an electric razor for a few years, after switching to Gillette fusion, because my skin got irritated after shaving. Gillete Fusion wasn't that much better for me.

I always like to try new things, so I looked on the internet for alternatives and found the method of traditional shaving and I thought 'let's give it a shot'.

So I bought Merkur HD razor with a few Derby blades, a boar brush by Omega and The Art of Shaving shaving cream. I've read a few things on this site and I watched youtube clips of Mantic59, which helped me out a lot.

But I thought having a thread here, could be really useful. Shaving, while it is getting better, is quite difficult. So I thought I could use this for asking some questions.

Beginning with a silly question:

- A razor has two ends, two siedes. Is it smart to switch, so to turn the razor during the shave, or should I just try to 'wear out' one side and save the other side for other days? :tongue_sm

- Can I use this method for shaving other parts of my body other than my face?

If you have any tips on where to start for basic shaving, please share!

Welcome to B&B fella. Razor flipping i.e. switching sides whlist shaving is what most of us do. Yes you can do some manscaping with your razor too. :001_rolle

As ever just search over old threads and most of your answers will be found!

Welcome to B&B!

Yes, I usually turn the razor during the shave. One pass on one side, flip, do another pass. It becomes natural after awhile and you end up using it 50/50 without really thinking much about doing so.

You can absolutely trim up the rest of yourself with a DE. Just be careful until you grt your technique down.

If Derbys work for you, great. But you might want to buy a sampler pack to try others. I've found Derbys to be inconsistent.

Welcome to B&B fella. Razor flipping i.e. switching sides whlist shaving is what most of us do. Yes you can do some manscaping with your razor too. :001_rolle

As ever just search over old threads and most of your answers will be found!

Yea you can use it for other parts of the body. some parts arent very forgiving at first though. the face is easy to learn. the chest is easy to after you learn your face your chest will be easy as pie.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Welcome to B&B!

It depends how you want to use the razor, some use one side until it's dull and then turn it. I think it's difficult to keep a count on which side is which. Some do one pass, turn the razor and do another pass with the other side. When I used a DE, I use to do 1-2 strokes with the razor, flip, 1-2 strokes, rinse.

Yes, you can use the razor to shave anything you want.

To learn the skill, I would recommend reading the FAQ first (see top menu). In there, you will find some links explaining what is a DE razor, how to build lather, etc.

http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/index.php/FAQ

using both sides also allows you to shave more space between rinsing the blade. Shave one side until its full of gunk, then shave the other, rinse and repeat!

Welcome to B&B! The transition to a DE does require some time and practice. Once you get the technique down, the you'll be amazed at the shaves you get.

Welcome to B&B! As far as flipping sides...I do as was mentioned prior...Do a short pass on one side, flip and do a short pass with the opposite side, rinse and repeat until I am good to go. :thumbup1:

Top Bottom