What's new

Glenlivet 12

I'm 25 and had never drunk a single drop of alcohol until last weekend one of my friends was a groomsman in a mutual friends wedding and happened to be turning 21 the same day. He asked me to do a shot with him, I said the only way I would drink anything would be if it were a single malt scotch.

I assumed he didn't know what I was talking about and he didn't. But when he went to the bar the bartender gave him some sort of whiskey. My friend said it was "Jim Beam I think..." I don't know if it was bourbon or Jonny Walker blended scotch... it really doesn't matter. But while "slamming" my first drink I was intrigued at a few things...

1) It didn't burn my mouth or throat.
2) It smelled great.
3) It tasted... complex.
4) The room felt like it was 110 degrees for about an hour after I consumed it.

So yesterday I mail ordered a 750 mL bottle of Glenlivet 12 based at least partially on suggestions here via a search.

My question is... what should I expect?
Do I add water? On the rocks or no... I've heard some are "made for ice" and some aren't? This will be a once a month kind of deal so it'll probably take me a year to drink an entire bottle.

Any other suggestions?

I'm not an expert scotch master, but it really isnt taboo to add ice or a little bit of water to most whiskeys.

I love Glenlivet on the rocks. First scotch I've ever tried!

Glenlivet 12 is a very easy single malt Scotch to get into. I would recommend drinking it neat ("straight from the bottle"). Many people, myself included, usually add a teaspoon or so full of water to a glass of Scotch. However, Glenlivet 12 usually doesn't need it. Ice is a no-go as it is widely considered to dull your taste. However, many people do enjoy Scotch on the rocks. It is also popular to make a Scotch & Soda (1 shot in a small glass of club soda). Many purists will scoff at most of these ideas but in the end, if you enjoy scotch mixed with turpentine and floor cleaner then drink what you like!

Good luck with that... IMO Scotch is an acquired taste(a taste I have not acquired yet). I would recommend starting with bourbon or blended whiskey first if your just starting out drinking. I hope you like it...let us know.

I usually prefer mine neat but it is a YMMV kind of thing. My suggestion would be to try it each way. Pour yourself a dram and take a couple of sips neat then add a teaspoon or two of room temp water and see what that does to the taste. (you'd be amazed how much it actually does change.) Then after a few more sips add an ice cube or two and see what that does for you. There are a lot of single malts out there and you will enjoy everyone of them in a different way but I would always at least give them a taste neat before I alter them. Have fun, they can be as collectable as anything within the wet shaving world.

Have fun, they can be as collectable as anything within the wet shaving world.

That's my biggest concern. ;)

Having never been a drinker and really never having been in a liquor store I'm kind of upset I mail ordered it and I could have went down the street to Target and got it for about $5 but I guess then it would have been taxed so probably a $10 savings. I feel better about that now.

Scotch is my thing. I recommend neat also, however, some scotches do benefit from a little water. Oban and Laphroig with a teaspoon of distilled or purified water will open it up a bit. I am a scotch snob:lol: so never use tap water. Rarely do I use water at all, in fact less than 1% of the time. Good luck on your scotch journey. Macallen is the best scotch in my opinion. anything in their line.

Yes, Scotch gets IMHO even more collectible than wet shaving. You really begin to realize your standards have been skewed when you can call various $50-60 bottles your "everyday" drinks and not something reserved for special occasions.

Yes, Scotch gets IMHO even more collectible than wet shaving. You really begin to realize your standards have been skewed when you can call various $50-60 bottles your "everyday" drinks and not something reserved for special occasions.

That's one of the reasons bourbon is my drink...the price. You can get a great bourbon for the price of an ok scotch.

Scotch is, without a doubt, an acquired taste as is liquor in general. If I were you I'd pour a "shot" over four or five ice cubes and let it sit for about five minutes.

The "Livet" is a good first choice. You will soon learn that any Glenn will do.

This is very true. I'm always looking for a $100 bottle for special occasions, and I've drank a $60 bottle in a night (with help). However, I've never collected. I pretty much always have one bottle on hand, and only one be it Cutty Sark or McAllan 15-20.

I'm a big fan of the Glenlivet 12 year. I usually drink mine on the rocks, which probably makes the Scotch Purists go into fits, but that's just how I take mine -- YMMV. It's also quite fine with a splash of water. I personally feel it has a little more character than some of the other scotches I've tried.

blary54 said:
That's one of the reasons bourbon is my drink...the price. You can get a great bourbon for the price of an ok scotch.

I'm mostly a bourbon drinker, too. For my money, it doesn't get much better than a Maker's Mark sour. Good price, good whiskey.

ALL,

That is really great information. I too am just about to be staring out on drinking scotch and I am not too sure as to what to expect. Great thread.

Steve

Adding water to scotch is to cut down the intensity to around 80 proof or 40% alcohol by volume. 80 proof is where it is meant to be enjoyed. Some makers add the water for you and it comes 80 proof and some makers do not. So the amount of water you add depends on the strength. I have seen scotches come as high as 120 proof. So you will have to add quite a bit of water to it. Experimenting will give you the right idea. You will know if you have gone to far. Add the water and let it sit for 10 minutes, then sip it. If you would like a reccomendation Ardbeg Ueghidael is my favorite right now.

Adding water to scotch is to cut down the intensity to around 80 proof or 40% alcohol by volume. 80 proof is where it is meant to be enjoyed. Some makers add the water for you and it comes 80 proof and some makers do not. So the amount of water you add depends on the strength. I have seen scotches come as high as 120 proof. So you will have to add quite a bit of water to it. Experimenting will give you the right idea. You will know if you have gone to far. Add the water and let it sit for 10 minutes, then sip it. If you would like a reccomendation Ardbeg Ueghidael is my favorite right now.

I thought the water started some sort of chemical reaction that "opens up" the scotch. I have no clue I'm just going by what I've read/seen.

I thought the water started some sort of chemical reaction that "opens up" the scotch. I have no clue I'm just going by what I've read/seen.

Whisky is already half water. There's no chemical reaction. What it does is thin it a little bit. When we refer to "opening up," all it really means is the alcohol is a bit weaker, which can make some of the flavors more accessible.

Top Bottom