What's new

FatBoy not nice

So I know I will get strung up but here goes anyway, I have a cased fatboy F3 and I thought this was going to be the Daddy of all razors, How wrong was I.
Now after 3 shaves 3 different blades Personna,Denby,Feathers, with the razor always on the same setting number 4. I am left with a shave thats well a little below par.
My Futur and come to think about it my Super speed give better results every time, Maybe I'm just to picky but I can't see what all the hype is about as I have found it less than average every time.
This is not a Fatboy bashing thread just my view on what I think is a over rated razor

I have a Fatboy and a Merkur 38c. I get better, easier shaves with the Merkur.

Personally, I think I part of it is that I am just much more practiced with the Merkur. I can do okay with the Fatboy, but it takes more work than the Merkur.

everone's skin is diffrent, so what works with some may not work for others. the fatboy is popular but i do like it's cousin the slim much better, it has less wieght and for me shaves me better. however, maybe you have a defect in yours such as aligment or gap issues which can lead to a bad shave.
The razor it self is mint as good as the day it was made, I just don't get on with it

So I know I will get strung up but here goes anyway, I have a cased fatboy F3 and I thought this was going to be the Daddy of all razors, How wrong was I.
Now after 3 shaves 3 different blades Personna,Denby,Feathers, with the razor always on the same setting number 4. I am left with a shave thats well a little below par.
My Futur and come to think about it my Super speed give better results every time, Maybe I'm just to picky but I can't see what all the hype is about as I have found it less than average every time.
This is not a Fatboy bashing thread just my view on what I think is a over rated razor

I like my FB - but I like the slim better. However, I had to play with the settings to get the shave I wanted. I start with a higher number on the first pass and then dial down and use lower settings the ATG and touching up.

One question: Why a FB if you use only one setting?

I like my FB - but I like the slim better. However, I had to play with the settings to get the shave I wanted. I start with a higher number on the first pass and then dial down and use lower settings the ATG and touching up.

One question: Why a FB if you use only one setting?

I will play with the settings but I tried it on 4 with one blade and did not get a good result so swapped blades just incase it was that and kept it on the same setting to make sure it was the blade but 3 blades later still a average shave

If your shave was sub par with the setting on 4, why didn't you try a different setting?
That's the whole point in having an adjustable razor, you can adjust the razor to suit the blade and your preferences.
If the Fatboy can't be made to work for you, you can always resell it and recoup your money.

If your shave was sub par with the setting on 4, why didn't you try a different setting?
That's the whole point in having an adjustable razor, you can adjust the razor to suit the blade and your preferences.
If the Fatboy can't be made to work for you, you can always resell it and recoup your money.

But the idea was to rule out the blade and try a different one, I can't believe you can have 3 sub par shave with 3 different makes of blade. The razor comes into it as well, But just to be fair I will up the settings and try again with the same makes of blades as in the first attempt

44 1.12mm Merkur Futur @ 1 120
45 1.14mm Gillette Adjustable @ 9
47 1.19mm Merkur Futur @ 2 120
53 1.35mm Merkur Futur @ 3 120
58 1.47mm Merkur Futur @ 4 120
63 1.60mm Merkur Futur @ 5 120
65 1.65mm Merkur Futur @ 6 120
69 1.75mm Merkur Futur @ 6 .5 120

Dirty grab from our wiki. There is your answer I think. :001_smile

But the idea was to rule out the blade and try a different one, I can't believe you can have 3 sub par shave with 3 different makes of blade. The razor comes into it as well, But just to be fair I will up the settings and try again with the same makes of blades as in the first attempt

Instead of switch blades, you should try 1 blades and adjust the setting.
For me my adjustables can be dialed in to work with any blade.
I have the 3 different Gillettes and the Merkur Progress.
I find with a Feather I have to dial back 1 setting.

I will try again with a blade and different settings but I'm just not feeling the love with this. My futur is my true love and only been DEing for 3 months but the Futur and the SS are very cool.
I also have a gem feather weight with 4 gem blades that was gift but I think when I sell the Fatboy I will let the gem go as well because that looks a scary piece of kit

I would give the Gem a try before you sell it - it may look scary but I recently tried one for the first time (after 3 years of DE shaving) and managed an excellent shave.

I will try again with a blade and different settings but I'm just not feeling the love with this. My futur is my true love and only been DEing for 3 months but the Futur and the SS are very cool.
I also have a gem feather weight with 4 gem blades that was gift but I think when I sell the Fatboy I will let the gem go as well because that looks a scary piece of kit

everone's skin is diffrent, so what works with some may not work for others.
This.

You can't select wetshaving products solely on their popularity. You need to go with what works for you. My Fatboy's ok but it's certainly not my favorite or my go-to.

I bought one as well just to see what the "hoopla" was all about. And it didnt come close to my Merkur HD. I tried with 3-4 different blades and I still perfer the Merkur.

The only cool thing about the Fat Boy is its name.:lol: I gave mine to a mate.:001_smile Lots of much better and considerably cheaper razors out there.:001_rolle:001_rolle

I have a Fatboy that I scored for five bucks at an antique shop several months ago. I shaved with it once right after receiving it, and was fairly underwhelmed. So I stabled the razor and moved to greener pastures. Over the intervening months I've used and loved a Slim, a Single Ring, an HD, and a DE89L. This morning, for whatever reason, I felt like the Fatboy needed some love, so I pulled it out and shaved with it. I used a Derby on 4, and I was absolutely blown away; it offered me the closest, smoothest, most comfortable shave I can remember. If you're having trouble with a razor, I recommend putting it away for a while. This is not the first time I've used a razor and been unimpressed, then tried it again at a later date and had a completely different experience.

Top Bottom