What's new

Thinking of opening a high-end Barber shop any suggestions?

Well I live in a city of about 400,000 that is located an hour north of LA and have been thinking a lot lately about opening a high-end barber shop. I am thinking a nice somewhat small place with one or two booths max, a shoeshine chair, and a small retail section with a little of everything from razors and brushes, to soaps, creams, aftershaves, and colognes. I would offer haircuts, straight shaves, and shoeshines in a nice plush leather barbers chair surrounded by mahogany cabinets and marble sinks and counter tops, and a nice flat screen with espn on. I was just wondering if there are any professional barbers here that could offer any insight or anyone for that matter. Is this something that you guys would visit on a regular basis? And if so what would you be willing to spend for these services in an atmosphere like this?

If you weren't on the other side of the US I would visit all the time. I have no barbershop experience but I'd say make sure you don't overprice. People on here might this its a darn good price but people in the real world might not.

Here is a link to the shop I go to in Winston-Salem, NC. It is a lot like you describe in regards to services offered. They have eight chairs...even though I have never seen more than two in use. They also have a pool table and chess, but I have never seen the used. Great relaxing place to go for a cut and straight shave. A little pricey, but you do get what you pay for.

As long as you have the client base I say go for it. WIth the right location it could go quite well.

http://theboardroomsalon.com/

From a commercial standpoint I am probably dead wrong, but I wish you could skip the tv.

I definitely understand where you are coming from. Part of me just wants some Frankie singing all day long but then I could see where a lot of guys would like to take in some sports center while they're waiting for and during a shave or trim. Thanks for the input so far guys keep it coming!

Well I live in a city of about 400,000 that is located an hour north of LA and have been thinking a lot lately about opening a high-end barber shop. I am thinking a nice somewhat small place with one or two booths max, a shoeshine chair, and a small retail section with a little of everything from razors and brushes, to soaps, creams, aftershaves, and colognes. I would offer haircuts, straight shaves, and shoeshines in a nice plush leather barbers chair surrounded by mahogany cabinets and marble sinks and counter tops, and a nice flat screen with espn on. I was just wondering if there are any professional barbers here that could offer any insight or anyone for that matter. Is this something that you guys would visit on a regular basis? And if so what would you be willing to spend for these services in an atmosphere like this?

yea it sounds awesome . you could offer a special rate to start with like a coupon to get you some new customers.. in Birmingham there is a gentlemens barber. and the gentlemens special is a haircut, a shave with a straight, and a shoe shine for $75.00 they also allow real cigar smoking only. that would be an awesome atmosphere. A real classic feel. I especially like the idea of making your own lather instead of just getting a hot lather machine. oh and you need a classic style barber towel warmer. This place would be awesome.im 21 and i would love it.but i honestly would not have any tvs, takes away from the real personal feel a barbershop reminds me of.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I'm a bit far however, I would do 2 things.

1-Offer local products, I think it's important to promote whatever you can get locally. Things like shaving soap, aftershave, etc. If you can't make your own, try to source the closest manufacturer and you need to make sure that you can use it faultless every time.

2-For the TV, I'm unsure, I would prefer the radio or maybe a few music shows on a tv. I'm not a huge sport fan but I can be a minority here. In any cases, it wouldn't stop me from going to the barber shop.

Bakersfield is an hour north of LA? I thought you were talking about Hollywood. Or maybe the Valley. Though those can take up to 90 minutes to reach, depending on traffic. :biggrin:

Anyhow, I absolutely would come visit you now and then! I'd love to see a selection of products offered - it'd be great to find some soaps, blades, etc. locally to pick up. You know... you should check with WCS or Bullgoose to see if they might want to open a retail display in your shop. Both could put out a nice selection for people to see and then you could place the orders for customers or maybe keep a little stock. That could work out nicely for everyone and you might get some pull from their customer base.

Liquor and cigars would be natural lures, as well. Liquor licenses aren't cheap, though, and you know how California is about smoking. Still, there might be a loophole or two you could exploit.

Have you looked into a barber's license? I pulled up the requirements out of curiosity a few weeks back. You have to attend a state-approved school and invest a bit of time, too.

Still, it'd be very cool if there was a shop like this around. You should look into it.

Bakersfield is an hour north of LA? I thought you were talking about Hollywood. Or maybe the Valley. Though those can take up to 90 minutes to reach, depending on traffic. :biggrin:

Anyhow, I absolutely would come visit you now and then! I'd love to see a selection of products offered - it'd be great to find some soaps, blades, etc. locally to pick up. You know... you should check with WCS or Bullgoose to see if they might want to open a retail display in your shop. Both could put out a nice selection for people to see and then you could place the orders for customers or maybe keep a little stock. That could work out nicely for everyone and you might get some pull from their customer base.

Liquor and cigars would be natural lures, as well. Liquor licenses aren't cheap, though, and you know how California is about smoking. Still, there might be a loophole or two you could exploit.

Have you looked into a barber's license? I pulled up the requirements out of curiosity a few weeks back. You have to attend a state-approved school and invest a bit of time, too.

Still, it'd be very cool if there was a shop like this around. You should look into it.

oh yes and the liquor would be nice to, i didnt mention it because i thought bout the extra trouble it would be. But i can picture myself in his chair smoking a hand rolled cigar and drinking a rusty nail while listening to timeless tunes on a radio. This would be an awesome place....

No TV's in T&H London, just conversation and lots of history. :001_smile

Thats why i suggest no tv it takes away from the back to the simple way of life feeling you get from the barbershop, and it also is a distraction a radio is fine but nothing is better then good ole conversation and a wonderful atmosphere.

With the population getting older, how about this idea:
Install the necessary equipment in a caravan and offer an on call service to the older people. Many living in condominiums would be happy to either get this service at home or just go down to the parking lot and get pampered without going far. A group deal is highly possible in this market too.

Obviously businesses that require formal dress and hotels should be a good market to explore as well as an express service for people in rush for all kinds of sudden occasions is part of the idea.

It goes without saying that you'll need to do some market research to evaluate the people most likely to order such a service, the prices they'd pay etc.

Good luck with what ever you do.

Obviously businesses that require formal dress and hotels should be a good market to explore as well as an express service for people in rush for all kinds of sudden occasions is part of the idea.

So a van pulls up to your home/place of work and you jump in for a guy to shave you in a rush? Hmm sounds like totally the opposite of what the OP was thinking of. :001_smile

So a van pulls up to your home/place of work and you jump in for a guy to shave you in a rush? Hmm sounds like totally the opposite of what the OP was thinking of. :001_smile

I was thinking of saving the trouble of driving to the barber when in rush (meeting with customers, board meetings etc.), especially the drive back.

Top Bottom