What's new

Recommend a Fountain Pen

I will be returning to school next month after a 15 year hiatus, and I'd like to get myself a nice(ish) fountain pen to celebrate and to take notes with.

Can anyone recommend a pen that comes in the $25-50 range? I have zero experience with this, and therefore no biases.

I am a lefty who can be slightly heavy-handed if not paying attention, and I'd like to improve my penmanship.

Also, I don't like a really scratchy pen, like the tiny roller balls.

Otherwise, you tell me....

First, congrats on returning to school!

You'll get plenty of Lamy recs, and nothing wrong with those, but a vintage Parker 21 or Esterbrook J would serve you quite well.

Check out fountainpennetwork.com. There is a lot of information and recommendations. Their selling forum has some real gems at reasonable prices. Make sure you inquire pens for lefties. I believe there are pens for guys like you.

My dad's a lefty, and he really likes the Waterman Laureat I gave him. It was his first FP. It's a medium nib and is easily the smoothest pen I've ever used. I would recommend getting a modern pen for your first. You'll find the old Esterbrooks and 51s can be scratchy and don't respond well to a heavy hand. They're also, in general, a lot finer nibs (even though Esterbrook offers a huge variety of interchangeable nibs). I recommend starting with something a little more user friendly, then try some vintage pens later on.

The Laureat has a gold nib, a lacquered body, is on the slim but heavy side, and can be found on the bay for around $40. You can also use cartridges or a converter. If you can't find the Laureat, try a Waterman Phileas, which can be had for less than $30. It has a fatter body, weighs less (plastic), but is really great. I have 3 of them. That's one of the best starter pens on the market and is often overlooked for some reason. It'll never leak or otherwise let you down. It's a workhorse.

I've never had a waterman that had an issue out of the box, but I've owned Cross and Parker FPs that were problematic from day one. That's part of why I'm such a die hard waterman fan. I've owned vintage and new pens from all the major brands, ranging in price from $10 to $150. These days, I like reasonably priced, modern pens, and I've reduced my large collection to about 12 pens that I really enjoy using. Oh, and the Parker frontier is also a nice first pen, but I've never found a converter that works with that pen.

Good luck, and enjoy whatever pen you choose. You'll probably end up with more than one. Beware this expensive AD.

-Andy

EDIT: Just ran across this pen, which can be purchased as right or left hand specific. Don't know if it's available in the US, though. That website is trouble.

Last edited:
I love my Parker 51s (I have five) and Parker 21s (2). I also have a Lamy Safari and it's an excellent pen. However, if I were first starting out, I think I'd choose my Rotring Initial. It's a heavier pen with a very substantial nib. Either the Initial or the Safari will be more forgiving as you learn the proper pressure for writing with a fountain pen.

I would agree with Andrew.
The modern Watermans are really nice. I have a Lamy, an old Cross, a vintage Parker 51, and a new Waterman Expert (medium nib, Dune Green).
Everything considered, I like the Waterman the best. It is just the right weight and balance, and it flows ink smoothly and accurately. I write with either hand and so does this pen. I also use Waterman's Florida Blue ink. Excellent stuff.

I'd recommend increasing your budget a little for an aerometric Parker 51 in a common color (gray, black or navy) with a stainless cap. Collectors don't lust after those (yet) and they're incredibly fine writers that almost never have issues.

I've collected fountain pens since '94 and have been through a lot of them. Still, my daily carry is a gray 51 aero with a stainless cap. It goes everywhere with me and never lets me down.

One of these might cost a little more, but they're worth it. Also consider the resale value. Most new pens depreciate fast after purchase. But a 51 can always be sold
for about what you paid and it'll gradually appreciate as you own it. So it might cost a little more, but you'll always get your money out if you want to.

Those look pretty good to me. Thanks for the link. I actually registered with that forum earlier yesterday at Andrew's suggestion.

Anyone disagree with this pen as a good starter for me?

Super 21's are supposed to be good, but I'm a complete newb to this game. They're NIB, so they should last a while. I want one of these to take notes with as well- hopefully you'll end up being my guinea pig! :laugh:

Super 21's are supposed to be good, but I'm a complete newb to this game. They're NIB, so they should last a while. I want one of these to take notes with as well- hopefully you'll end up being my guinea pig! :laugh:

Aha! So you've been exposed! :lol:

They look pretty good to me; I might give one a go.

Oh, and I believe the preferred nomenclature is "Italian-American pig". :lol:

I'd recommend increasing your budget a little for an aerometric Parker 51 in a common color (gray, black or navy) with a stainless cap. Collectors don't lust after those (yet) and they're incredibly fine writers that almost never have issues.

I've collected fountain pens since '94 and have been through a lot of them. Still, my daily carry is a gray 51 aero with a stainless cap. It goes everywhere with me and never lets me down.

One of these might cost a little more, but they're worth it. Also consider the resale value. Most new pens depreciate fast after purchase. But a 51 can always be sold
for about what you paid and it'll gradually appreciate as you own it. So it might cost a little more, but you'll always get your money out if you want to.

This is great advice, but I don't plan on selling whatever I pick up. I'm pretty impervious to ADs and only buy what I use. I'll definitely check out your suggestion though. Thanks!

Honestly, you really can't go wrong with any of these suggestions. Kinda like the vintage vs. modern razor debate. Pick one, then try the other!

Top Bottom