What's new

Recommend a Fountain Pen

Just stumbled across this thread. I have recently returned to FP writing and picked up a Waterman Phileas with a medium nib a week or so ago. I must say that I am impressed - I had forgotten how comfortable FP writing can be. Hopefully my replacement ink (legit Waterman) should be arriving in the next day or two - I ordered 8 cartridges (for when I'm in a hurry) and a converter refill thingy with a bottle of ink.

Oh dear, I can feel another addiction coming on.:lol:

I'm a fan of Waterman pens. They then to write wider than their tip size would indicate. A Waterman medium is fairly wide. However, they write smooth and nice, even better than my overpriced Mont Blanc.

I recently posted this same question in the Speakeasy and got the same answers..."buy the new Safari"....."No, buy the vintage Parker 51"
So I just bought both.
Then I started looking into paper.......Had to buy 3 brands of paper to test.
Then I looked into ink......Now I have to buy Noodlers and Private Reserve.
My wife cut me off after $150.
Thanks again to B&B for getting me into an expensive habit.

I'll be honest, this fell into the TLDR column for me, rare in this forum.

I'd recommend the Pilot (formerly Namiki) vanishing point. Order the nib size one larger than what you think you want.

It's a great pen, very ink efficient, and won't mess up your shirts.

My two cents...

Boomer :001_smile

Note the Pilot 78G is NOT a gold nib

You're right. It's faux gold/gold colored. That pen is still an amazing value. It writes better than a lot of $50+ pens I've owned.

I'll be honest, this fell into the TLDR column for me, rare in this forum.

I'd recommend the Pilot (formerly Namiki) vanishing point. Order the nib size one larger than what you think you want.

It's a great pen, very ink efficient, and won't mess up your shirts.

My two cents...

Boomer :001_smile

That's one of my 2 favorite pens. I use either my Vanishing Point or Phileas Laureat for 90% of my daily writing. I did just get a Kaweco Sport that is now a favorite too.

I recently read that Kaweco won't be selling pens to the US market sometime soon, but that could just be a rumor. Nevertheless, it prompted me to buy a Sport. I highly recommend it. I bought the cheaper plastic version, but there's an aluminum model that looks awesome.

-Andy

Last edited:
Top Bottom