What's new

Recommend a Fountain Pen

I don't know what I was thinking. The standard B&B answer is, "Get both!" I think anyone interested in FPs should try modern and vintage pens. One or the other (or both) will suit you. I'd definitely say try one of those nice NOS 21s and an inexpensive Waterman if you can swing it.

-Andy

I don't know what I was thinking. The standard B&B answer is, "Get both!" I think anyone interested in FPs should try modern and vintage pens. One or the other (or both) will suit you. I'd definitely say try one of those nice NOS 21s and an inexpensive Waterman if you can swing it.

-Andy

THERE'S an answer I can get behind! :thumbup:

-Andy

:lol:

Try this place. www.hisnibs.com

I have bought several pens from him. Norman is great about customer service.

I have yet to find pens of this quality for this price.

I have found better pens and cheaper pens, but his site has the best quality for the price of any place I have seen.

That said, my fav pen is a Lamy Safari that I bought in Savannah GA. I think

my $0.02

I would have to throw the Pilot Knight out there; I believe it hovers in the 30-50 dollar range. Really like mine with the <M> nib, but a Japanese <M> is very similar to a USA <F> nib.

Hope you find a good one!

Well, I went to a local pen shop today and decided that the Lamy pens are not for me. The grip was weird and not something I was comfortable with.

I think I'm going to pull the trigger on one of those NOS Parkers tonight...

Try this place. www.hisnibs.com

I have bought several pens from him. Norman is great about customer service.

I have yet to find pens of this quality for this price.

I have found better pens and cheaper pens, but his site has the best quality for the price of any place I have seen.

That said, my fav pen is a Lamy Safari that I bought in Savannah GA. I think

my $0.02

This had some interesting stuff, and a cool video too. Thanks for the link. :thumbup1:

Just ordered the Super 21 in Green (F). I'll keep you posted on how it goes.

Thanks for all the great feedback and suggestions. If this goes well, I'm sure I'll use more of the advice to try other things!

I would have to throw the Pilot Knight out there; I believe it hovers in the 30-50 dollar range. Really like mine with the <M> nib, but a Japanese <M> is very similar to a USA <F> nib.

Sorry to go off-topic for a second, but what ink are you using in your Knight? Mine has responded poorly to the couple I've thrown at it.

Legion

Staff member
In your price range I would definitely recommend a Hero 100. I have the flighter model (All metal body) and it is one of my best writers. Better than all my Parker 21's and even better than a couple of my 51's (But not all... I would recommend a 51 but a good one will probably be above the price range you mentioned.)

The Hero 100 has a filling system similar to the Parker's and a gold, fairly fine nib. These really are the best value pen out there. And the quality control for this level of pen is actually pretty reasonable. Better than the cheap Chinese pens and at least as good as similarly priced pens from other countries.

Sorry to go off-topic for a second, but what ink are you using in your Knight? Mine has responded poorly to the couple I've thrown at it.

I typically use Noodler's of various hues. I also use the squeeze fill converter with it. At first it did have a little trouble starting after a fill or a day of not being used, but that seems to have corrected itself with time in mine, though YMMV. Hope it starts working out better for you!

I typically use Noodler's of various hues. I also use the squeeze fill converter with it. At first it did have a little trouble starting after a fill or a day of not being used, but that seems to have corrected itself with time in mine, though YMMV. Hope it starts working out better for you!

Many thanks!

I just remembered another great pen that's often overlooked. The Pilot 78G is a plastic bodied pen with a filling mechanism similar to the Parker 21 and a screw on cap. The Pilot has a gold nib, and they're very smooth writers. The only reason I don't use mine more is that it has a broad nib. I paid something like $12 for mine, which was NOS (isellpens.com). These are discontinued pens, and there are some on the bay, too. Recently, I saw them online them for $25, but you can easily find one for less. It's the best FP bang for the buck I've ever seen. Bear in mind that a Japanese medium is usually like a western (Parker, Waterman, etc.) fine. The broad is a stub nib, so it's almost like a calligraphy pen.

Just another idea.

-Andy

Last edited:
That would be the coolest thing that ever happened to me.

Well, I got the pen today. It is beautiful...and alone. :biggrin1:

I got the pen from Peyton Street Pens. It shipped fast, came well packaged, and is in perfect condition. She (Terri, the owner) even included a freebie pen as well, a Parker Vector rollerball. I used to have one of these, and like them ok. I'm going to bribe SWMBO with it for her purse! :thumbup:

Top Bottom