What's new

Re-write

I have a question for you gentlemen. My printing is decent but my handwriting is fairly sloppy. I am in my mid-fifties(cough-cough) and was wondering if it is possible to re-learn the process of handwriting? Has anyone done this?
Is it just a matter of discipline and mind over matter?

An inquiring mind would like to know.
Thanks for any suggestions.

I think in this situation, the term practice makes perfect comes to mind.
I'm not nearly in my 50's yet, but I notice my cursive looks like I wrote it with a pen in my teeth, whereas my printing is immaculate. Been meaning to practice, except finding the time to do so, (writing things at work that no one can read doesn't help either) is really hard.

My printing and cursive are terrible - that's why I got into computers - in the hopes that I never have to actually write anything :thumbup1:

I have been dabbling a bit with calligraphy. Seems to me my script improves when I've been doing it, and gets messier when I have not for a while.

Perhaps a fountain pen to help concentrate... Good excuse for a new acquisition disorder ? I know my curiosity is getting to me with the fountain pen FS posts I've seen around here lately.

The consolation is that in the digital world handwriting doesn't matter too much and it is too slow. My handwriting has gotten sloppy over the years because of too much typing and graffiti (PDAs)

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
My printing is great (20 years of Navy Log Keeping is practice enough for anyone), but my cursive is another matter.

I can write fast, or I can write neatly. And the "neatly" doesn't look like my handwriting.

So, to answer the question, yes - it is mind over matter.

I don't write enough to develop the neat habit (I type mostly) but I have no doubt that with time and practice, the neater format could become dominant.

There are courses you can sign up for, usually called “handwriting repair” or something similar, and there is even an iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch App: Better Letters.

There are even online courses you can do:
http://handwritingmakeover.com/

If attending a class won't fit your schedule, you can try a daytime seminar:
http://www.handwritingsuccess.com/

And, of course, there are many books on the subject. Search Amazon.com and read the reviews to decide which is best for you.

My grandmother's handwriting is a work of art. My mother's is also quite nice. Mine is... well, I can sign my name. ;) I was taught cursive writing in grade 2-4, I don't recall it being a part of 5-6, nor 7-8, and by 9 we were learning computers and typing. I actually did really poorly in that typing course, which is funny, because I think if they just had better computers I'd have been more interested.

Last edited:
I have a question for you gentlemen. My printing is decent but my handwriting is fairly sloppy. I am in my mid-fifties(cough-cough) and was wondering if it is possible to re-learn the process of handwriting? Has anyone done this?
Is it just a matter of discipline and mind over matter?

An inquiring mind would like to know.
Thanks for any suggestions.

You're in California... so for equipment. Get yourself:

Phase 1. Instant gratification
A Pilot Pluminix/Plumix from Target.
Staples Eco-Friendly pads & notebooks (sugar cane paper)
HP 32lb presentation paper
Quink ink (Staples) (to refill the Pilot cartridge with a fine eyedropper or pipette)
Join the Fountain Pen Network BBS

Phase 2. You'll have to wait a few days
Book: "Write Now" by Getty & Dubay
Noodlers Black Ink

Phase 3:
More and more pens, inks, papers.... yes, another AD!

In my mid 40's I tore down and reconstructed my writing using the Getty & Dubay method and fountain pens. Now I write reasonable looking business notes and letters with ease.

For notes around the house or handed to someone, the 32lb Paper can be folded into envelopes in various clever ways (see youtubes on folding paper into envelopes).

I was afraid of the AD part of the process. It does sound like it is doable, though. Thanks all for your responses!

Phase 3:
More and more pens, inks, papers.... yes, another AD!

If you are really serious about handwriting improvement, you might check into Spencerian or Copperplate script. These are dip pen systems, but the skills would transfer to the more modern fountain pens.

Check with spencerian.com or with John Neal Books (google it) for instructional materials and supplies.

Top Bottom