What's new

Edwin Jagger 89 or Merkur Slant

I own the ej89 its not even in the same ballpark as the slant. The merkur HD gives the most fantastic shaves, if I shave with the de89 I can take my HD and shave again. Then the slant mows down beards and give a very close shave. The slant is more aggressive by a long shot from the 89 and also the HD.

My first true upgrade was to the DE89L. Very good razor. I used it head to head vs. the Merkur 38C (Barber Pole) with Astra SS blades, and felt the Merkur gave a better shave. I can't comment on the slant, but do find the 89L quite nice. Currently #2 by a slim margin in my den.

Edwin jagger makes fantastic razors. Excellent fit , excellent finish, excellent customer service ad most importantly it's an excellent shaver.
The head is one of the best heads available in the market right now. You won't be disappointed. Go for it!

FYI, I have a pretty thick growth and the EJ mows it down effortlessly!

I think its difficult to compare ED89 with Merkur slant. You can compare ED89 with Merkur 34c. They are similar, will give you excellent shaves. But if you want something aggressive then slant is the way to go. I am more in to slant these days. In my opinion they give better shave in less no. of passes. I love the Razorock stealth slant, just ordered ATT slant and waiting for the delivery.

I would go for the Merkur slant for beginning as its the cheapest and most widely available good slant razor.

I own both. If you want a aggressive razor the slant is the way to go. I'd be hesitant to call the DE89 aggressive. The DE89 is a beautiful, high quality razor that gives great shaves and is much more forgiving. But the 37c provides closer shaves in fewer passes. Both razors have a spot in my rotation.

I own the DE89 and it is a very good razor. I also own the RazoRock Mission which is very close to the DE89. The Mission seems to be a little more aggressive than the DE89. The mission sells for around $ 20 dollars and comes with 30 sample blades. Both are great shavers.

YMMV. I have owned 2 DE89 razors, and ditched them both. I couldn't seem to get a comfortable shave. The slant on the other hand, has been stellar.

Top Bottom