What's new

African Black Soap

from target, anybody have experiece with them? I saw 3 different soaps at target.

Do you mean the stuff by Shea Moisture? I haven't seen the first puck of shaving soap at Target, but Shea Moisture makes a latherless goo in a tub (don't bother, it sucks). The facial soap (non-shaving, just cleansing) is said to be decent.

True african black soap is made in Africa by women of the Fair Trade. It is mainly shea butter saponified with the ashes of burned leaves and bark.

Fair Trade assures fair pay, retirement and such for the women involved. If not true african black soap, it will not say Fair Trade on the label.

It is said to be a terrific soap for your skin.
Sue

Do you mean the stuff by Shea Moisture? I haven't seen the first puck of shaving soap at Target, but Shea Moisture makes a latherless goo in a tub (don't bother, it sucks). The facial soap (non-shaving, just cleansing) is said to be decent.
I used it to shave ( soap)

did pretty well IMHO

True african black soap is made in Africa by women of the Fair Trade. It is mainly shea butter saponified with the ashes of burned leaves and bark.

Fair Trade assures fair pay, retirement and such for the women involved. If not true african black soap, it will not say Fair Trade on the label.

Sue

thanks, daughter & wife want to wrestle it away from me :p

I used it to shave ( soap)

did pretty well IMHO

Please post pictures if possible; or at least the details of what's on the package. I'd love to check this out, but the only thing at my Target (last I was there) was not shaving soap.

Sue

the real african soaps can differ in ingredients according to region..the west africans utilize shea butter as one of the fats,mali,gambia,senegal,guinee,burkina etc, in east africa there is very little shea,they use mango butter and avocado butter...both use burned plaintain peels as the catalyst to create lye,here in america we use sodium hydroxide...if an "african" soap has "tallowate" listed , forget it..this is the scrap fat left over from the butchering of dead pigs 90% of the time,mutton and in some places other animals are used..real african soap does not use pig fat,and yes ! please buy fair trade...On my yearly travels to tanzania I always bring back lots of natural village soap from the womens co-op in mombasa kenya..good stuff !!

Please post pictures if possible; or at least the details of what's on the package. I'd love to check this out, but the only thing at my Target (last I was there) was not shaving soap.

I did not see this package http://www.target.com/s/179-5077469...&searchNodeID=1038576|1287991011&searchPage=1
but, its the same one pictured, its not listed as a shaving soap, I just used it to shave anyway:blushing:

got to say, it did better than the one I got from walmart, price was 4.99 BUT, well worth it IMHO.

no nicks, irratation, smooth shave:thumbup:

its the african soap listed here
http://www.sheamoisture.com/products#

decent smell to it.

Agrees with Sue. This is an awesome bath soap.. but never considered it for shaving.. but it is well worth buying.. if it doesn't work to shave with, you still have one of the best bath soaps around!

Agrees with Sue. This is an awesome bath soap.. but never considered it for shaving.. but it is well worth buying.. if it doesn't work to shave with, you still have one of the best bath soaps around!

I did ok with it shaving, will keep using it for a while:thumbup:

Top Bottom