What's new

Creating your own vatted malts

Recently I've been looking into blended scotch whisky and vatted malts, out of pure curiosity. However, I am more interested in making my own. Does anybody have any experience vatting their own malts? Has anybody experienced good results? I mixed a little something and it wasn't half bad. It was: 6x Speyburn 10, 4x Glenlivet 12, 4x Glenrothes Select Reserve (NAS), 2x Auchentoshan 10, 1x Bowmore legend (NAS), 1x water. It was fairly balanced but I think I will tone down the Islay next time and probably use Lagavulin 16 instead.

Also, has anyone found a good commercially available vatting or blend? I always hear "compass box" but have yet to see it in stores.

I find it hard to believe that NOBODY has ever had a good blended scotch or vatted malt......

There are a lot of vatted and blended whiskies out there. Some fine ones too. Famous Grouse and Johnnie Walker some to mind immediately.

Compass Box stands out because they do it very well. Just as there is an art to distilling, there is an art to developing a blending process that achieves a particular outcome. Compass Box has developed some very unique products/processes that are generally well received, but controversial.

I'm surprised no Compass Box fans have chimed in yet. I have not tried any of their offerings myself, but have read very good things about them. Compass Box is somewhat limited in availability, so it may take some poking around in your area or even travelling to another state to procure some.

As for vatting your own, that is a potentially expensive mistake in the making in my mind. I would think that one would have to be a pretty experienced and discerning drinker to successfully blend his own whisky and be able to call it "better" than the components that went into it. That said, if it interests you and you enjoy the experimentation, blend away!

Top Bottom