What's new

Iced Coffee Recipes?

Not quite that time of the year, but I'd like to start collecting some recipes. I have an Aeropress and I've read that it's an excellent tool for making iced coffee. Anyone have any recipes/insight/advice?

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
More of an encouragement to others ... I like iced coffee too ... usually I just take a cupa joe and stick it in the fridge for a while, which probably ain't the BEST method ... so I'd love to hear better ideas!

(I'm talking the kind you drink, not the ice-ridden coffe-flavoured milkshake-like things you can get at Tim Horton's!)

I'm looking for something "milky", but not "milkshakey." Think bottled Starbucks Frappacino. When I was in Australia, I got addicted to Iced Coffee that came in a small carton. It was in the same vein as a carton of chocolate milk.

Well it makes a great Hot Latte...so I would venture to guess it would do the same iced. When it starts to heat up I will have to start experimenting.

I love strong iced coffee in warmer weather. I use the same amount of coffee but half the water, so adding ice cubes doesn't result in weak coffee. Works very well for me. I also use high quality beans from a local roaster, which makes a huge difference in my coffee regardless of whether it's hot or iced.

Good luck.

jim

Typically the problem with iced coffee is that the ice waters down the coffee, so you need to start with it really strong to have it taste good, but the aeropress is very good at 'strong and smooth' so it works well.

The other problem is if you like sugar in it (I like hot coffee without but cold with) there's the dissolving-it problem in cold coffee, so do the sugar when it's still hot.

One solution to the watery problem is to use coffee to make the ice cubes.

My favorite iced coffee is 'Vietnamese Style', that is, mix some very strong hot coffee with a few tablespoons of sweetened condensed milk, then add ice. Now that is good. Vietnamese restaurants have these little stainless drip contraptions that fit on top of a cup, and take quite a while to work (thus the strength). Sometimes they use French-style coffee with chicory (like the canned stuff from Cafe du Monde).

It's also good hot.

the best iced coffee i've ever had was from a place near Camp Lejeune NC, they used honey as the sweetner and I think that helped it dissolve better, whatever their secret was, it was great!

If you're looking to make a Frappochino type iced coffee your best bet is to brew a shot or two of espresso and mix it with chocolate milk (for an iced mocha) or with just whole milk. If you take regular brewed coffee there will be too much water to be creamy like a Frappochino.

The usual Iced Coffee is simply regular coffee on ice, sugared and creamed to taste.

I live in Dunkin Donuts heaven (New England). They make great ice coffee, and it's much the same method that someone else suggested. Brew the coffee with twice the amount of ground coffee that you normally use. Then, fill the glass with ice and pour in the strong mix. It will end up stronger at the beginning, with a smoother, light finish as the ice melts. I drink my coffee black without sugar, including ice coffee. I get similar reactions from the clerks at Dunkin Donuts when I order this, as you do when you tell someone you are shaving with a straight razor...

One good trick for iced coffee is to pour some coffee into ice-cube trays, this way when your cubes melt, they won't water down your drink.

I live in Dunkin Donuts heaven (New England). They make great ice coffee, and it's much the same method that someone else suggested. Brew the coffee with twice the amount of ground coffee that you normally use. Then, fill the glass with ice and pour in the strong mix. It will end up stronger at the beginning, with a smoother, light finish as the ice melts. I drink my coffee black without sugar, including ice coffee. I get similar reactions from the clerks at Dunkin Donuts when I order this, as you do when you tell someone you are shaving with a straight razor...

I take mine black only because I'm to lazy to put some sugar and cream in it. That and I want to get caffinated as soon as possible in the morning.

The other problem is if you like sugar in it (I like hot coffee without but cold with) there's the dissolving-it problem in cold coffee, so do the sugar when it's still hot.

Another thing to try would be making a simple syrup, which is just sugar dissolved in hot water and then cooled. This also works great for iced tea.

Not quite that time of the year, but I'd like to start collecting some recipes. I have an Aeropress and I've read that it's an excellent tool for making iced coffee. Anyone have any recipes/insight/advice?

Silly me, I thought it was just coffee over ice, with optional cream and/or sugar.

My more sophisticated uncle and his wife enjoyed iced coffee back in the 50's/60's. My more pedestrian father (ex-Navy war veteran) and mother pooh-pooh'ed it. I always thought it was kind of cool (pun not intended).

Tim

i work nights so several years back i switched to iced coffee,well frozen .because as it thaws i can take another swallow to stay awake thru the night.at my job you pretty much carry everything with you that you may need thru the night.
recipe
24 oz bottle (empty)
4 oz hot water
2 heaping teaspoons instant coffee-JFG or maxwell rich or nescafe clasico
4 teaspoons powder creamer
3-4 teaspoons sugar
shake till dissolved
1-2 teaspoons vanilla flavoring or hot chocolate mix or other flavored syrup
fill with milk
shake well ,place in freezer.
comes out like a frappucino.

Typically the problem with iced coffee is that the ice waters down the coffee, so you need to start with it really strong to have it taste good, but the aeropress is very good at 'strong and smooth' so it works well.

One solution to the watery problem is to use coffee to make the ice cubes.

My favorite iced coffee is 'Vietnamese Style', that is, mix some very strong hot coffee with a few tablespoons of sweetened condensed milk, then add ice. Now that is good. Vietnamese restaurants have these little stainless drip contraptions that fit on top of a cup, and take quite a while to work (thus the strength). Sometimes they use French-style coffee with chicory (like the canned stuff from Cafe du Monde).

It's also good hot.

Word. Vietnamese iced coffee rocks.

Double shot of espresso in 1/2 pint of milk.
Double shot of Tia Maria liqueur
Single shot of Chocolate liqueur
Loads of ice and a great big glass.

Quickly followed by a great big grin and a slightly dazed look especially if you have a couple of them.

Mat

That's not how they made it when I worked there in the early 90's. We made it just like regular hot coffee, only we made it at the beginning of the shift. We poured it into a 15 gallon dispenser to cool. We only made it with hot coffee when the dispenser ran out. When that happened, each employee had thier own method.

Mine was to use the same amount of grounds, but grind it to the "expresso" setting where it was nearly like dust. Another coworker just used twice as much grounds.

Of course, things can change in 15 years.

Top Bottom