What's new

good news; bad news

Well gents, the good news is that my brand spankin new EJ DE89L arrived today from Royal Shave. The bad news is that the blade sampler pack I ordered from West Coast Shaving has not. So my question, as I embark on my journey to double edge shaving nirvana is, will tomorrow morning be a bloodbath if I use the CVS branded de blades I picked up?

Hopefully, my sampler pack will be delivered this afternoon, and I will have my pick of blades. I started shaving in 1969 or 70 and don't remember if I started with a double edge or a cartridge. Either way, I am looking forward to my shave tomorrow!

S

siouxsie

Blades are personal. The YMMV thing. I don't think they are great blades, but they aren't bad either.

See, if something is readily available, we tend to think it can't be as good as something harder to come by.

The same thing happened when I order my Merkur 34C. Not a blood bath with the CVS blades just some minor flesh wounds which made me appreciate the higher quality blades. Just have the Alum and Witch Hazel in arms reach and I would still use a CVS blade over a cartridge.
Chris

The CVS blades aren't too bad. For locally available DE blades, I prefer the Dollar General blades (made in Korea by Dorco). Fairly smooth, and a moderately good deal at $1 for 5 blades.

Just an FYI: If you have a large Bed Bath & Beyond near you, the large stores with the health and beauty sections, they carry the made in Germany Wilkinson blades. I don't like them, but a lot of guys do.

Is this your first DE razor?

If so, use the cheapie blades first. The reason? The first few shaves may be troublesome as you experiement and try to learn technique and practices different styles of prep. Better to get this out of the way with a lousy blade so by the time your sampler pack arrives your technique will have improved to a point where the "superior" blades in the pack will vastly improve the quality and enjoyment of your shaves.

When you do get your pack, I'd start with either the 'less sharp" blades, i.e., Derbys, as the smoother and more forgiving Israeli Crystals and Personas. Save the Feathers for last, after you've got your routine down.

Jeff in Boston

Congrats on the good shave. It just goes to show you that you have to try each blade yourself. The worst reviewed blade just might be a great one for you. :thumbup1:

I gave the store brand blades a try expecting them to be awful, but I was pleasantly surprised. They have turned out to be my second favorite blade.

The CVS blades are made by American Safety Razor Company, as are just about every drugstore/supermarket house-brand blade. All they change are the packaging and the price.

They are decent blades, and what I started out with 2 years ago. Far from the best, definitely not the worst. They are like American-made Personnas, like you'll find in the red package at Walmart.

Go ahead and use them. When you're starting out, having ANY brand of blade / razor / brush / soap / etc. is better than none at all.

Top Bottom