What's new

gillette sensor

I know i will probably get flamed for this, but I have reverted back to using a cartridge on mornings when I am in a hurry and dont have time for a nice de shave. I have started using the Gillette sensor, are the any nice looking handles being produced for this razor so it doesn't feel completely souless? Weigh in, and thanks in advance for any suggestions.

I know i will probably get flamed for this, but I have reverted back to using a cartridge on mornings when I am in a hurry and dont have time for a nice de shave. I have started using the Gillette sensor, are the any nice looking handles being produced for this razor so it doesn't feel completely souless? Weigh in, and thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Please turn in your "man card" immediately!

Just kidding! :lol:

The Gillette Sensor is a good cartridge system and there's nothing wrong with it. In fact, its reputed to be one of the better cartridge systems out there. Remember, shaving is primarily a means to an end and not an end to itself. That end is getting a good, comfortable shave. However, that doesn't mean it has to be unenjoyable. As for handles, eBay might be a good place to go to in addition to the suggestions you have received so far.

thanks a ton guys, that ej handle is awesome, i may wind up popping on it, kinda pricey though lol. As far as as the trac ii goes i have a brass handle made by aramis my dad gave me, its an awesome looking handle, but ive never like the trac ii much bc of the thick cartridge...

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
See, no flaming involved at all!!!

(Just don't say anything bad about Tabac or good about Williams and you'll be fine!!)

:lol:

Funny cause last evening I bought a Sensor Excel that came with 2 twin blade cartridges and one free 3 blade cartridge. I used to have the handle, but it's been missing for years so I just used the Gillette Custom Plus disposable razors which use the exact same cartridge as the Sensor. I just got used to the lighter handles. Anyways, I'm glad I was able to find a Sensor handle....especially for less than $5 tax included! :001_smile

I still prefer the Trac II though :thumbup1: ...next step is to get an Atra and see how it compares to the Trac II and Sensor.

Oh...Williams Shaving Soap rocks!!! :tongue_sm

They're very nice quality and you can choose among various styles.

Shavemac

Get over it. Most of us are men who have to go to work every day. You are not going to be flamed over shaving choices. This is a gentleman's forum. I have used the Sensor in the past. I am not ashamed of it, though I hope to use other shaving methods most of the time.

Really? Ive never heard this before. The Custom Plus have the spring loaded blades?

Good question. I'm not sure. :confused1

What I do know is the cartridges on the disposables below fit on the Sensor Excel handle. I can't tell the difference when shaving with an actual Sensor blade, or one of these cartridges from the disposables.

proxy.php

I was in a rush this morning...just did one less pass with my DE. Still a fine shave actually.

I just can't go without it.

Don't get me wrong now.I find DE razors great...IF you shave your whole face...it's really hard to shape even sideburns/wolverine-type ones/with a DE.My M3 and Fusion kinda get the job done,but the stupid lubricating strip gets peeled off after the first couple of uses.I got the Sensor Excel out of sheer curiosity.My first impression is that it,for a cartridge razor,had a much narrower head/I have shaved with a gillette 2 blade disposable before/and it didn't pivot as much...Now I always use the sensor.The 2 blades don't go dull quick on my scarce facial hair,and,since I'm using it to clear the little stubble there is around my sideburns/right one is terrible though,since I don't have facial hair in a few patches.../,the 5 replacement blades I bought should last me forever.If I consider getting rid of my excuse for facial hair,I will use the DE,but indeed the Sensor Excel is the best cartridge razor I have used so far.Oh and the lubricating strip does not peel off or disappear mysteriously :thumbup::thumbup:

S

Sydney Guy

Funny cause last evening I bought a Sensor Excel that came with 2 twin blade cartridges and one free 3 blade cartridge. I used to have the handle, but it's been missing for years so I just used the Gillette Custom Plus disposable razors which use the exact same cartridge as the Sensor. I just got used to the lighter handles. Anyways, I'm glad I was able to find a Sensor handle....especially for less than $5 tax included! :001_smile

I still prefer the Trac II though :thumbup1: ...next step is to get an Atra and see how it compares to the Trac II and Sensor.

I had a Gillette Contour razor which I believe is the same razor sold in the US as the Atra. Since they haven't been selling Contour cartridges here for some years I'd been using Sensor cartridges which look just the same and fit just fine. What was the (supposed) difference between the Atra/Contour and the Sensor, if any?

I had a Gillette Contour razor which I believe is the same razor sold in the US as the Atra. Since they haven't been selling Contour cartridges here for some years I'd been using Sensor cartridges which look just the same and fit just fine. What was the (supposed) difference between the Atra/Contour and the Sensor, if any?

Are you saying your Sensor cartridges fit on your Atra handle? I would find that quite odd, as the method of attachment between an Atra, and Sensor is entirely different.

The Contour is the European version of the Atra as you said.

The main differences between a Atra, and Sensor are an different pivot point (the range of travel on a Sensor should be greater, along with the method of attachment being totally different), along with spring loaded blades (so the blades can float over obstructions on your face, along with following the contours of your face as well).

i think that the grip on the atra/contour razor was dual hooks from the sides, while the sensor uses a more modern V style clip, the heads arent interchangable,

i also know that gillette has been offering cheap atra/contour handles (plastic crap) under the name gillette vector in some asian markets as to provide a low price entery pivot cartrige razor in the hope of getting them off localy sourced DE and cartrige razors,

if you want a high quality atra or sensor handle, maybe a merkur M2 handle would be a good choice, also omega and vie long make kits with slightly more decent handles,

Top Bottom