What's new

Is WTG underrated?

How many of you guys only go WTG. I have only been wetshaving a couple of months and found that a couple of WTG passes gives me an irritatation free BBS. Your thoughts?

Indeed it is underrated (I read "overrated" :lol:... that's what 1:30AM does to you)! WTG is the best method for the initial beard reduction if you ask me.

One WTG (maybe 2 if I'm pushing 7-8 days without a shave) and one XTG and I'm set for the day.

- ice

My WTG pass is to remove the long hairs of my facial hair. All other passes is to remove the finer hairs that are left. So to me the WTG pass is the most important

Is WTG underrated?

No. It's BBS that's overrated :laugh:

My usual shave is done with a quick WTG pass, followed by ATG if I have time. Only in the weekends I indulge in the removal of every atom of stubble.

A friend of mine said that every other pass after WTG gives the skin a "ham-like" quality. Since he owns more than 300 Sheffield blades, I think I'll side with him. :thumbup:

I do one pass WTG, one pass XTG and then just do little touch ups. I'm not a big fan on ATG. Just me though! I'm in the military so I have to shave everyday therefore I am careful on the ATG stuff.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
How many of you guys only go WTG. I have only been wetshaving a couple of months and found that a couple of WTG passes gives me an irritatation free BBS. Your thoughts?

I shave WTG on my first pass and XTG, ATG on my second pass, making a few additional touch-ups at the end of the shave.
I get wonderful, close and comfortable shaves and my skin looks great and healthy.
Regarding your question, shaving WTG only obviously can give an irritation free result, but you cannot get a super close shave as when proceeding also ATG.
This does not mean you necessarily have to shave XTG and ATG to get a good result.
Some men have too sensitive skin to afford an ATG pass, so if they decide to shave against the grain they end up with many nicks, cuts and irritation.
It's better to have a good look and an healthy skin as stated above.
No one will ever ask you if you also shaved ATG, but a bad, red, irritated skin will be visible to everybody.
Just my thoughts.

My usual shave consists of 2 WTG passes. It get's it close enough, especially if the blades are sharp. I do some XTG on my neck area. Those are a bit tricky to cut.
But 2 WTG passes gives me a close, irritation free shave!
I never went for a ATG yet :blushing:. I want to improve my technique. I think I have to master some topics, before I jump for the ATG shave.

If I run two WTG passes, I get the same "acceptable" shave that I got from plastic junk. ATG with the plastic would be BBS but heavily irritated.

With a DE, one down, one to the side, and one up gets me the same BBS but without the irritation.

What's that they say? Oh yea, YMMV :biggrin1:

I've been wet shaving with a DE for 6mths. I get DFS and BBS with 2 WTG passes. The irritation is very minimal if at all. If there is some, it will be gone by next shave. I have to remind myself all the time what works for me. Sometimes I'll still try and go ATG and inevitably it screws me up. I say to myself...everybody else can do it.

I've also noticed that my two WTG passes have been getting better as I improve pressure/blade angle and general techique.

I'm rubbing the face now after two WTG passes this morning. Looks good, feels good, smells good. I'm very comfortable....and that's what matters. A comfortable shave sets the tone for the day.

Supporter of the 2 WTG pass shave

One to two WTG passes for me! I find that my face looks silly if I go for BBS via ATG.

I'd rather have a good looking shave with some micro-stubble than a BBS that feels great to touch, but leaves me looking like I was assaulted with a belt sander.

My shaves have been a lot more enjoyable since I went from WTG+2xXTG+ATG as a DE newb with a Merkur 38c (foolish, I suppose :blushing: ) to WTG+XTG with any of my post-RAD purchases (vintage Gillettes, Gems, and injectors).

Having said that, I do occasionally throw in an ATG pass at the end if I feel my face can handle it when using a milder razor and blade combo. Going ATG with today's Gillette SS Red Tip + Red IP setup (with Proraso SC and Pinaud Bay Rum AS) gave me irritation-free BBS.

I usually end up paying for my ATG BBS results with one or two ingrown hairs the following day, but when the first two passes go smoothly and I feel like I'm on a roll, I figure why not go for it?

Top Bottom