What's new

Multiple razors, Many blades

I know that a lot of you guys have different razor handles to use as the whim strikes you. I picked up a couple basic Gillette handles and a Gillette adjustable to go along with my first DE (a no name); I can now appreciate the difference in different razors.

The question is, how do you keep track of blade usage? Up 'til now, I swapped blades once a week, but if I want to do that I have to move the blade to a different razor. It would be nice to have a blade in each razor but how to keep track of the number of shaves?

Anyone have any tips or systems?

If you have, say 4 razors, you could start by replacing all the blades, and rotate through them in order, then you would change all the blades every four weeks.

I guess you could make a chart and make hatch marks for each use, and when you get to 7, then change.

Of course, I have a rather rough beard, and only one DE, so I tend to make blade changes when I notice dullness in midshave. The other advice I would give you is to get blades in bulk from eBay. When blades are in the 5-15 cent range, you start to care a lot less about making them last.

I buy bulk blades from Ebay....I use only one razor a week and try to use the blade for a week..but most of the time I can only use a blade for 4 days...

So what I do is I use one razor...then when the blade is dull I grab another that has a fresh blade...I always have a fresh blade in the razor I am not using..

But I have a new Merkur LC...and I think this will be my goto razor...

I bought a big batch of Derby's on eBay, so I'm all set there.

I like the idea of just swapping razors when I feel it getting dull. Hadn't even thought of that!

I hate to say it, but....
I keep a log of my daily blade + razor usage in my PDA.
Keeps me up to date with whats what.
===========================
Slim*** Derby day1
Slant** Feather day2
SS***** IP day3

....etc., etc.

I just use the same razor for one blade. When the blade gets dull, I put another one in a different razor. So, I shave for about 5 days in a row w/ the same razor. Helps getting my technique right as well. :cool:

I only use a blade for 3 shaves max. If I change razors I will move the blade to the new razor, but when doing so will only use a blade for 2 shaves. So 3 shaves in one razor or 2 shaves in 2 razors. I could probably get more shaves out of a blade, but its only $0.15.

I just use the same razor for one blade. When the blade gets dull, I put another one in a different razor. So, I shave for about 5 days in a row w/ the same razor. Helps getting my technique right as well. :cool:

I think this is a great way to do it and I do the same.
  • Easy to keep track of how fresh a blade is for those that don't want to bring their PDA's into the bathroom. :smile:
  • Keeps my newbie and evolving technique on the right path. Too many changes and I get "blade angle confusion", kinda like "soap-water-ratio vs. which brush" lather mixing confusion.
  • I suspect (and would love to hear from someone more knowledgeable) that once the blade gets exposed to water (the universal solvent), skin, soap and blood (also very corrosive) it's going to age and dull just sitting there on the shelf.

I tend to use the following combination of razors and blades every day. Change blades in both razors every four to five days.

Slant Bar/Feather blade for shave
HD/Derby for buffing

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
All my razors are loaded with blades. After the third shave with that particular blade, I change it. Usually its a Derby or an IP.

I hate to say it, but....
I keep a log of my daily blade + razor usage in my PDA.
Keeps me up to date with whats what.
Slim*** Derby day1
Slant** Feather day2
SS***** IP day3

....etc., etc.

Yep. And I keep a log of everything else I change. Cream, soap, preshave, postshave. Can you tell I'm an engineer?

I keep all 3 of my razors loaded. The Slim and the HD have Derby's in them (bought a ton of eBay) and the SuperSpeed has a feather in it. I use the two main ones back and forth depending on my mood, and the superspeed is for tough spots (hence the feather). I just change the blades whenever they feel dull-er or if I remember that it's been in there for 4 days.

Top Bottom