What's new

First Straight razor shave

I tried my first straight razor shave. It only took me 20 years to try it.
It went as follows:
Gavin 0
Straight razor 3
I have a question regarding soap/ cream.
What should the consistency (frothiness be).
Should it be like the stuff that comes out of a can
or just enought to cover the skin? I have tried a couple of soaps
and creams. None have been very "frothy."
Should I try any pre shave creams or post shave stuff.
I have tried a Nivea cream (comes in a toothpaste style tube), williams and
proraso (green) soaps.

Thanks,
Gavin

Better late than never! welcome to B&B.

I've had really good success with pre-shave oils. They seem to give me a little forgiveness while I learn this art.

Another thing I do for a little more forgiveness is to add a bit of glycerine to my lather. I think it helps with my hard water.

Congrats on getting your first shave under your belt. They get better and better!

Hi and Welcome!

Shaves can take time to perfect and some long term members on here keep mixing up combinations of things forever both for fun and to find the "ultimate shave".
The "search" function at the top of the forum can be a great help in finding threads about anything you want to know and in terms of getting a good lather the link already given you will help.

Though of course no question is too small so if you can't find your answer or simply don't feel like looking then please ask away and enjoy your time here!

Looking forward to hearing about you BBS shaves very soon!
BBS = http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/index.php/Abbreviations

First straight shave without nicks and cuts to complain about is a successful one!

Keep at it and make sure to check in the straights section to ensure you've got a sharp edge at all times.

And of course if can't find the answer your looking for don't hesitate to ask.

No, It should NOT be like the cream out of a can, which in fact is not cream at all. Real shaving cream lubricates, don't be suprised if it doesn't foam up, you want more of a creamy paste and a rich lather than a foamy dry mess.

Top Bottom