What's new

Shipping Creams In The Hot Summer

I am thinking about ordering some creams while The English Shaving Company still has free shipping. Will the summer heat during shipment have a detrimental effect on the creams. It is in the mid 90's around here.

its in the mid 90s outside. just imagine what it is in that UPS or fedex truck.

you should go ahead and order it. when you get it open it up and take a look. if the cream looks runny stick it in the fridge overnight and it'll firm back up. i had this happen to me after leaving some truefitt & hill in a hot car.

It all depends on the product, the temperature and the packaging. If your product has a liner (an inside lid that can be removed after the top is unscrewed) then you'll probably be OK. I am using them in my shaving cream tubs as I think they help to to keep things neater if the shaving cream settles to the top of the container in transit. That way you don't have shaving cream stuck inside the lid and you can swipe off the cream back into the pot more easily.

I had a cream sample sent to me and when I opened the little container it was all liquid after sitting outside in a hot mailbox for a few hours. I thought there was a mistake and I was sent a pre-shave instead. After a few hours inside the liquid turned back into its normal cream form. So I would say feel the container, if it's warm don't rush to open it, let it sit for a few hours inside. Sticking it in the fridge is probably extreme and not needed.

Hopefully the transformation cream to liquid and back to cream does not affect the performance of the cream.

It all depends on the product, the temperature and the packaging. If your product has a liner (an inside lid that can be removed after the top is unscrewed) then you'll probably be OK. I am using them in my shaving cream tubs as I think they help to to keep things neater if the shaving cream settles to the top of the container in transit. That way you don't have shaving cream stuck inside the lid and you can swipe off the cream back into the pot more easily.

milford is out past flemington right? are you real close to PA? can you hear them getting their nascars ready for the invasion?

I wonder if you could get them to mark the package "temperature sensitive" or something like that. There must be a method of shipping products with low melting points.

I wonder if you could get them to mark the package "temperature sensitive" or something like that. There must be a method of shipping products with low melting points.

Sure, they ship lobster and fresh fish all the time. But, it is packaged in an insulated container and ice or cold packs are added. Then it is shipped "over night".
So, it's very doable, but the cost would be very high.

Sure, they ship lobster and fresh fish all the time. But, it is packaged in an insulated container and ice or cold packs are added. Then it is shipped "over night".
So, it's very doable, but the cost would be very high.

It would be cool to receive a frozen cream sample, overnight!

Well, I pulled the trigger on some Trumpers Lime cream and some Trumpers Rose soap. I have never tried any Trumpers products and I couldn't let the deal at TESC pass.

If the cream is really soft or has liquid floating on the top, mix the cream and let it stand for a couple of days. It should be okay. Some gents stick them in the fridge overnight to make them stiff. It should be okay.

I got a tube of Harris rose cream from TESC, and when I opened the box the tube felt very warm. I left it closed and let it get back to room temperature. When I opened it a few days later to shave with, it was fine.

Great cream, by the way.

Temperatures of 100 degrees in the shade during summer in Missouri is normal. High heat causes thinning of our shave creams. I wonder how hot the sun drenched mailbox is inside while packages await pickup. Please be careful upon receipt and opening the jar. No damage will done. We make SCS shave cream boiling on our shop gas range.

Just shake the jar vigorously to mix it thoroughly. Loosen the lid a bit and allow it to cool for several hours or overnight and it will turn into the normal consistency. You may speed this up by placing it in the frig if you want.

I don't know any way of preventing this from happening. I don't know the makeup of other brands but obviously this is something that does happen with others.

Each batch of SCS shave cream contains oils and over 24 ounces of shea butter. The oils are already liquid at room temp and shea butter melts very easily.
Sue

Well, I pulled the trigger on some Trumpers Lime cream and some Trumpers Rose soap. I have never tried any Trumpers products and I couldn't let the deal at TESC pass.

My TOBS St. James was delivered to me in 105 degree Phoenix summer heat. It was a little runny, but nothing too bad. I did pick it up about an hour after it was delivered, though. I would suggest keeping an eye on your tracking information to minimize the degree to which it separates.

I have received many creams and soaps from the US over the past couple of months and so far (touch wood) all have arrived in their solid state!

In my experience the only cream you really have to be careful with shipping in the summer is Speick. Unlike the other creams that get runny, Speick will actually harden a great deal when exposed to heat for long periods of time. And it seems to take at least several days to return to a more usable state. I remember receiving my Speick tube last summer and barely being able to get to stuff out, but a quick check of the forum showed many others had experienced the same issue, and sure enough a few days later it was soft again.

In my experience the only cream you really have to be careful with shipping in the summer is Speick. Unlike the other creams that get runny, Speick will actually harden a great deal when exposed to heat for long periods of time. And it seems to take at least several days to return to a more usable state. I remember receiving my Speick tube last summer and barely being able to get to stuff out, but a quick check of the forum showed many others had experienced the same issue, and sure enough a few days later it was soft again.

Speick is one that would benefit from the stick-it-in-the-fridge treatment.

I am thinking about ordering some creams while The English Shaving Company still has free shipping. Will the summer heat during shipment have a detrimental effect on the creams. It is in the mid 90's around here.

Fahrenheit, or Celsius?
(It would make a difference).

Your got that right, 90 degrees Celsius (around 190F) and most soaps would be melted. However, we are having heat indexes right now of 110 and it seems like 190. Whew.....it's hot.... And if I hear, "It's not the heat it's the humidity" one more time I am going to snap.

Fahrenheit, or Celsius?
(It would make a difference).

Top Bottom