What's new

Suggestions for first firearm purchase

I'm thinking about buying my first firearm. Didn't grow up in a home that had firearms, but through conversations with colleagues and friends that are gun-owners, I think I might as well use my constitutional 2nd amendment right to protect myself and my home. I live in a somewhat questionable neighborhood, but that's not the primary reason for my thoughts about buying and learning to use a firearm.

Can anyone give a suggestion of a first firearm for someone who's never shot a gun outside of a BB gun, for the purposes of home defense.

I live Ohio, and as far as I know we have concealed carry laws. If anyone could give me some advice and information as far as that goes I'd appreciate it as well.

The best home defense weapon that I can think of is a pump-action shotgun. 1) While it's pretty easy to miss with a single bullet, a shotgun can unleash a couple dozen pellets at once. 2) The unmistakeable sound of racking that pump slide whould be enough to deter any intruder; if they're still in the house after you pump that shotgun, you know you're going to have to shoot them for sure....

edit: Metatron beat me to the same conclusion.

I'll have to second the shotgun route. One of my professors in college taught a firearms class at night. He said you are more likely to deter a theif by shucking the slide on a shotgun and cussing like a sailor than trying to use a handgun. Plus you don't have to be a crack shot if you have to use one.

Thanks for the replies gents. Unfortunately, a dog is out of the question, as I'm allergic...compounded by the fact that I'm already concealing two cats in an apartment that has a no pets policy (maintenance guys don't care so no worries on getting busted for that so long as I keep the place clean).

I've heard the arguments for a shotgun before and have considered that. Eventually I'd like to be a responsible gun-owner and have a CCW as well. For the sake of discussion, suggest good first handgun purchases as well.

I agree with the shotgun suggestion for home defense. However, if you want the gun to double as a conceal carry gun I suggest a Smith & Wesson J frame in .38 special.

Ohio requires a permit to conceal carry. Go here for some information about conceal carry laws. I believe Ohio is also an open carry state. But in order to open carry in a car you have to have a concealed carry permit, which makes no sense to me.

Please note, I live in Florida so I don't know Ohio laws. The above is what I found with some google searching. Please look at Ohio law so you are properly informed.

I think .22 handguns and rifles are the ideal guns to learn to shoot on. They certainly aren't great for home defense, but by and large they are inexpensive to purchase and shoot, recoil is minimal, and they will help you learn the fundamentals of shooting. From there you will find it a lot easier to move to centerfire handguns and rifles.

I'd also suggest trying a basic class at a local gun range, particularly one of the NRA Fundamentals classes. They'll teach you gun safety, marksmanship fundamentals, and are generally just a good place to get acclimated to handling firearms.

I'll ask around to learn more about Ohio's firearm laws, but that's news to me and somewhat surprising if OH is an open carry state.

Going to contact an old colleague and see if he'd like to go shooting with me. He has a much more expensive hobby than I do...firearms!

Don't really know too much about guns, but if its merely home defense, I vote shotgun. Any theif will think twice when they hear it ****, esp a pump action. You also don't have to be the best shot in the world (if it even comes to that). They are pretty fun at the range too if you get clay pigeons and a launcher.

Also, just a quick thought about closed vs. open carry. Why would people choose to open carry when closed carry leaves a certain element of surprise? I thought that was the primary advantage of closed carry, that the "bad guys" don't know who is carrying and who isn't.

Not trying to derail my own thread, just simply trying to learn more about the subject.

Also also, I can confirm that through Eric's link, Ohio is an open carry state.

The whole open carry vs conceal carry is widely debated among internet forums. From what I gather, open carry is more of a "I have the right" kind of thing. I conceal carry everyday but if open carry was legal I would do that as well. Not as often, but I would. Some say it looks bad, but I believe that if you don't use your rights, you lose them. Few people know that they can open carry in California as long as the gun isn't loaded.

The whole open carry vs conceal carry is widely debated among internet forums. From what I gather, open carry is more of a "I have the right" kind of thing. I conceal carry everyday but if open carry was legal I would do that as well. Not as often, but I would. Some say it looks bad, but I believe that if you don't use your rights, you lose them. Few people know that they can open carry in California as long as the gun isn't loaded.

That's kind of my thinking, that open carry is a more an issue of displaying your rights on your sleeve, and less about defending yourself.

That seems absolutely pointless to open carry if it's not loaded! :lol: Is it also legal to closed carry in CA if it's loaded?

I think .22 handguns and rifles are the ideal guns to learn to shoot on. They certainly aren't great for home defense, but by and large they are inexpensive to purchase and shoot, recoil is minimal, and they will help you learn the fundamentals of shooting. From there you will find it a lot easier to move to centerfire handguns and rifles.

I'd also suggest trying a basic class at a local gun range, particularly one of the NRA Fundamentals classes. They'll teach you gun safety, marksmanship fundamentals, and are generally just a good place to get acclimated to handling firearms.

++++1111 to all of the above. Contact a local range, if there is one, regarding basic firearms classes, and consider a .22 for a first gun. Then, once you're comfortable with the basics of handling a firearm, you can move to something bigger.

I don't know what you're budget is, but a shotgun for home defense, and a handgun of some sort down the road as a carry gun, are good suggestions as well.

That's kind of my thinking, that open carry is a more an issue of displaying your rights on your sleeve, and less about defending yourself.

That seems absolutely pointless to open carry if it's not loaded! :lol: Is it also legal to closed carry in CA if it's loaded?

Unfortunately any conceal carry will get you in serious trouble unless you have a permit, which is really hard to get. I just found out too that a bill was passed and awaiting a signature to make it illegal to open carry in public :mad3:

Unfortunately any conceal carry will get you in serious trouble unless you have a permit, which is really hard to get.

Which is why I would want to go through the proper channels to get a CCW if I chose to do so. My record is clean sans parking and speeding tickets, and I'd like to keep it that way.

Since you've not very familiar with firearms, I would STRONGLY suggest that you familiarize yourself and become very proficeint on lots of different kinds of firearms before you even consider carrying.

Kind of like the kid who's never driven a car before, but has dreams of driving Formula I or Tractor-Trailers, my suggestion would be to learn to drive first, and years down the road consider moving into those more technical areas.

For a starter firearm, a .22 is a great place to start; it's cheap to buy,cheap to shoot, and is very unintimidating to learn on.

If you also want something that can double with home protection, than I suggest a .38/.357 double-action revolver. Revolvers don't have safeties, magazine releases, sliding actions to worry about; just keep squeezing the trigger until it quits going, "bang".

Go to this page and find a local NRA sponsored class.

You will be able to get a feel for various self defense and carry options as well as an overview of local requirements.

This is a serious step and should be approached with a well trained and experienced guide.

A NRA membership will get you a lot of info and discounts to gear and programs.

Good luck!

The answer for your desire to conceal carry and meet everyones recommendations to get a shotgun.

proxy.php

Since you've not very familiar with firearms, I would STRONGLY suggest that you familiarize yourself and become very proficeint on lots of different kinds of firearms before you even consider carrying.

I'm definitely planning on doing this. A former colleague of mine was an avid gun collector...so much so that he and his wife do regular sweep drills of their domicile. I've already sent a message to him with a request to go shooting sometime soon.

Top Bottom